Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by jbkirby, Apr 29, 2011.

1. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    Let me start by saying that I know nothing about flugelhorns, other than that they have a beautiful sound. Last Saturday, I found one in a local antique store for $135.00, an early 1970's Getzen Eterna. The plating is intact with some brass showing through the bell around the valves from handling; the bell had a slight crease in it and the leadpipe nibs were in a bag accompanying the horn but there are no other dents or dings. (It is now with the local tech for repair.) It is in the original case which is in good condition. The seller explained that his father bought the horn used for $250.00 many years ago to aggravate he and his sister, to "get them out of bed in the morning before school." Otherwise, it wasn't played.

I cleaned and oiled it and everything works smoothly, valves, amados, slides, leadpipe are all free and were well maintained. After tarnish removal, it looks beautiful. Did I get a good deal?

2. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Congratulations on the new horn! Getzen flugelhorns from the 1970's are popular. I own one myself, which I purchased back in the 1970's. It sounds like you got a good deal. You can always do a search on eBay to see what recent ones sold for.

Mike

3. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I sold an '80s Getzen Capri (intermediate) that I had tweaked some about 7 yrs ago, and got $500 for it. You got an awesome deal - the older Getzen flugels are great players, and you should have a very nice horn once it's repaired. :)

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Nah, you got ripped off, but I'll give you $200 to ease your pain.:-P:thumbsup: I want to know the location of your pawn/antique shops. They know NOTHING about brass for you to keep getting these deals.:lol:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  5. study888

study888 Mezzo Forte User

Aug 22, 2005
    Darlington S.C.
    Hello, does your Getzen Flugelhorn have it's Getzen Flugelhorn mouthpiece? If it does,would it be a Getzen 3C Flugelhorn M.P. Having a deep bowl type cup?

If you do,is it a french taper,standard taper or Bach taper shank? If any one else knows for sure please post.

I have one of the Swiss Willson made .433 bore doubler Couseon style Flugelhorns. That Donald Getzen, sold in the USA for a short while. Has his name engraved on the Bell/ etc.

Same Willson Flugelhorn sold later by Conn in the USA. If the Conn Willson has bottom sprung action. Which it appears to be.

I want to try a smaller rim/ med. deep cup M.P. The Getzen 3C Flugelhorn mouthpiece is to big rim wise and cup wise for me. Wondering what shank taper the Getzen M.P. piece is. Enjoy your Getzen Flugel. You got a great buy.

6. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    The horn has a damaged Bach 1 flugelhorn mouthpiece, so I am not sure of the taper. Any advice (exept from tobylou8 :shhh:) would be appreciated.

7. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    Tobylou8: The $152.10 Conn 1969 38B Connstellation came from an antique shop in Oxford, Alabama and the $135.00 Getzen Eterna came from an antique shop in Headland, Alabama. My next quest will be a $50.00 late 1940's Olds Super Recording...:-P

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Since you asked :lol:! New Page 1

Make sure you get the correct taper for your Getzen (a "y" designation). I use a 1 FLS y.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    You have a great flugel. It is warm and rounded tone. I love my getzen that is also a 70's vintage.

10. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    In addition, if you prefer Bach mouthpieces, Getzen offers a replacement leadpipe with a Bach taper for around $15-$20.