Getzen Eterna Severinsen LB for beginner

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Nina, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Nina

Nina New Friend

Mar 20, 2013
    I have the opportunity to buy a Getzen Eterna large bore from '77. Would it be a good choice for a teenage beginner? The Olds ambasador he plays on now leaks and is no fun anymore.

2. Darten

Darten Mezzo Piano User

Dec 21, 2009
    New York City
    I am sure the Getzen experts will come along and speak up, but I cannot imagine the Eterna from being a step down as far as functionality, erspecially since the ambassador is leaking and is no fun to play. I would buy it if the price is right.

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I have played them .. sold used ones to beginners ... they loved them and I loved how they played.
    It is a fine instrument.

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I have one - do it - nuff said.

5. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Welcome to TM!

What I know about Getzens suggests that buying the Eterna would not be a mistake. That written, Ambassadors have a solid reputation as a good horn. A good technician might be able to put all the fun back in the horn for very little money. Replacing corks and other wear parts and eliminating leaks are parts of normal maintenance, which you may also have to contend with in a 36 year old Eterna. Good luck in sorting it all out.

Jim

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I own an Ambassador and a Severinsen and the difference is night and day. The Eterna is a superior horn in every way. The only thing the Olds might do better is survive a fall from a great height. Don't tell him it's a large bore and just let them play it. If the passion is there, you will be rewarded many times over. If it isn't, it is an easy horn to sell. The Severinsen is a top 10 horn of all time IMO! You can't go wrong with it.

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Buy it. I agree about not telling him about the bore. If he doesn't like it you will have no trouble selling it away. PM me if you get to that point!

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    no,no, pm me!!!!! Rofl

9. terrytuner

terrytuner Pianissimo User

Sep 23, 2010
    Tennessee
    My early 70's Getzen Severinsen came with 2 tuning slides. They are 458 & 460. The 458 slide is marked as such. For a beginner, it wont matter much which tuning slde is used. MP's always seem to have more effect than what I hear or feel using the different slides. If your horn has both slides, hang on to the one you don't use. They have value. I've owned several trumpets and cornets, including Bachs, over the years and the Severinsen might be equaled but not surpassed. It does what it does, extremely well.

10. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    The LB Sev's are kinda hard to come by. I think by 77 they stopped giving you two slides with the ML's. I don't think he'd be disappointed with the LB Sev.........:oops::cool: