Getzen Flugel????

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by johnande, Dec 26, 2013.

1. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    King made the Flugabone series in the 1970s and 80s according to a print ad and a few examples I've come across. Blessing and Reynolds/Olds also made their own versions.

Have they ever been called Flugelphoniums? A "baritone" player once claimed that he played it [he actually played euphonium and marching valve trombone]...

2. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Getzen did make bass trumpets. This could be one of them, although the bell looks a bit large for a bass trumpet.

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    It is not a Getzen Bass Trumpet, - they are great, I had an Eterna Bas Trumpet in my stables 30 years ago. This is a Marching Valve Trombone.

Marching Brass - Left is Trom, Centre a Baritone, Right a French Horn
    [​IMG]

A clearer view of the Marching Trom and French horn
    [​IMG]

The OP has Definitely a Marching Trombone

4. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Why have such clumsy and heavy instruments, when there are many thousands of bands all over the world happily marching with normal trombones, euphs and French horns? Why, why, why?

5. barliman2001

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Why have such clumsy and heavy instruments, when there are many thousands of bands all over the world happily marching with normal trombones, euphs and French horns? Why, why, why, when you can have the real stuff and not have any compromise as regards music?

I do understand the reasoning behind over-the shoulder instruments at their period of time; but nowadays? And I know it is much easier to march with, say a euphonium than with a cornet or trumpet, because the euph will be carried in a bag or sling and cornets or trumpets have to be carried. Then why forego the comfort of the sling and have a euphonium-weight instrument held in front of you?

WHY?

6. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Jeez Peter, it's bad enough that you said nice things about this horn and it went onto my Watch List. Now you're showing pictures of horn p*rn. I'm so resisting a recurrence of n+1 after the seasonal excesses, but it's hard to resist :-)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  7. barliman2001

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Don't resist. N+1 won't go away, and resistance is futile.

8. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Don't know about other people - I want to double on lower brass for jazz and rock jobs, but don't want to spend too much time practicing on a slidey instrument when I'd rather play trumpet. ...and when reading, it's tough enough for my tiny mind to read bass clef without the complexity of the slush-pump action.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    My brother played the bass trumpet all through high school. Why? Director was short on low brass. Instead of having to learn to read in C and slide positions, he was handed a Bb bass trumpet. A lot of trumpet players can double on Bb valved lower brass and fill out sections as the need arises. Bass trumpet, flugelbone, marching valve trombone are all pretty much the same voicing.

10. jaemard

jaemard Mezzo Piano User

Jul 2, 2012
    San Rafael, CA
    Bell faces forward, sound goes forward. Point and shoot.