Getzen Horns

Discussion in 'Horns' started by mrfabulous963, Jan 24, 2006.

1. mrfabulous963

mrfabulous963 Piano User

Nov 26, 2005
    Share All Your Comments On the Getzen Line Of Products

I'm Just Wondering Your Thoughts

2. someone

someone Pianissimo User

Jan 7, 2006
    California
    I have a getzen eterna 700. It's nice, but I really wish I had my old trumpet to compare it to. The sound on mine isn't quite as bright as I'd like it, but I think that's just me. It is very nice, fast valves, good sound.Try it out if you don't want to spend however much Strads and Lawlers and Zeus and Xenos cost.

The way it was explained to me in hornucopia (a music store) was a mixture between a student level (the 300) and a pro lever (the 900).

3. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    I haven't had much experience with Getzens, but the little I've had has been very good. I used my teacher's old Getzen Eterna C for a few concerts and it had a great sound, played in tune and was generally just a lot of fun to play.

-Jimi

4. gio trumpeter

gio trumpeter New Friend

Feb 7, 2005
    las vegas
    i just put a getzen 700 on layaway... it played great!... in all registers... and response was very nice.. more details when i actually give all the money

5. ZeuSter

ZeuSter Pianissimo User

May 22, 2004
    The Getzen 3052 is a great lead horn, especially with the lightweight bell option, it is a large (462) bore and plays really well.

6. BruceB

BruceB New Friend

Jan 12, 2006
    Seattle
    I have both the 3001LE and a Genesis 3003 and love them both. I use the 3001 for lead work and find it has a nice crisp sound to it. The range is very good and the tone stays consistant throughout the registers.
    I use the 3003 for solo and jazz work. The sound can be bright and crisp or dark and mellow depending on how much air one puts through it. On occasion I've even used it for lead playing and it's more than held it's own. Preveously I had Wild Thing and what a difference the Getzen's made sound wise. I've not had any regrets thus far and who can complain about hte Getzen valves.

7. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    I seem to remember a poll over on TH some time back regarding who had the best valves--I think Getzen won hands down.

The 700S and 700Sp are perhaps the best value in instruments today. Not quite a Pro horn, but the difference is as near to nothing as makes no odds. For what you pay and how they play, you just can't do better.

I was a Bach bigot for years before I bought my current horn. When I went on the hunt for a new horn, I tried Strad after Strad and they were all good, but nothing really popped out at me. Finally I decided to "Keep an open mind" and try out Getzen and Yamaha horns (the only other brands the local shops carried). I only knew of the Eterna horns as far as Getzen's pro series go, so that's what I asked for. Fortunately for me, the dealer doesn't always give me what I asked.

He brought out two horns, an Eterna II and a sharp little deal I had never seen before called a Renaissance. "Take 'em both home and try 'em," he admonished.

So I did.

I played the Eterna first for about ten minutes, then never picked it up again.

I never picked up any of the Bachs again, either.

That Renaissance (.464 bore) was like striking Gold. The only horn I've played outside of Getzen that came even close was a Jerome Callette model a local pal has. But I still like my Getzen better.

There IS one horn I've played that I like better, but that's also a Getzen -- the Genesis. These babies just blow me away! And Getzen has really made strides with changes to their custom line -- the 305x horns are oustanding! Add the custom Picc and the Genesis, consider the price compared to other manufactureres, and I just don't see how you can do any better.

The Eterna and 700 and Capri horns are all great values, but their custom series horns are simply outstanding. IMHO. Far better players than I may disagree, but they likely play far more expensive horns, too....

Z

8. mrfabulous963

mrfabulous963 Piano User

Nov 26, 2005
    I'm Glad People Out There Support Getzen, I Just Wish The Overpriced Strad Era Would End Already

9. Sandovalic

Sandovalic New Friend

Jan 20, 2006
    Netherlands
    I play a Getzen Capri 590 in the marchingband I'm in. I like the way the horn cuts through the band (I hope yo uknow what I mean) The sound however is a bit to thin for indoors. The Yamaha I play has a much better sound. But the valves are something unique. They run like Shani Davis on ice. The best i've ever played with.

Olaf

10. Weedyweidenthal

Weedyweidenthal Pianissimo User

Sep 25, 2005
    oh cool this is right up my alley. I've played pretty much every getzen pro horn there is and i own a getzen 700S Eterna II and a Getzen 896 (four valve) flugelhorn. The horns are typically bright and better suited for jazz however if you're a mature player you can get a dark sound without trouble. the 3050, 3051, 3052 all played about the same. the bore size is usually .462 for those custom horns. i've found that they slot very easily and you can really put the air into them. The 700S has a .460 bore and is the same as the 900S except it has a hand spun bell. They both are very good. The valves are awesome on any Getzen instrument. The flugelhorns are very mellow horns and even though the flugelhorn guide says they have intonation problems, i don't know wtf he was talking about. They require air but i've never heard a flugelhorn sound better or feel better to play. The piccolo trumpets are a lot like the regular trumpets in that they rock and they have a bright sound. They are especially good with Blackburn leadpipes. The cornets have a very dark sound and are free blowing and play better in tune than any Yamaha i've played on. As for the trombones and baritones i'll save the time and say that they rock just like all other Getzen products. Oh yeah and the Doc Severinsen trumpet is very good also but that's got a really bright sound that i find hard to make sound dark. it's best for lead playing. I hope i helped.
    -Weedy