Getzen Purchase Advice - Severinsen vs Capri

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Artifex, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Artifex

Artifex New Friend

Oct 13, 2014
    Omaha Nebraska
    I am looking at a 1965/66 Severinsen that has been played little over the last 40 years, and primarily amateur before that. It is in good shape, no dings, rot, or bad solder, no tarnish, valves are free and smooth, only issue is some silver plating has come off the 3rd valve slide. It's competition is a beautiful silver 1969/70 Capri that has been reconditioned but not restored. Difference between the two is essentially $100, which seems like a no-brainer, but I am worried about the amount of work the Severinsen will require. Both of these are a drive from my place, so I do not have the opportunity to see them in person but I have seen lots of pictures. What do you think?

2. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    If the only issue with the Severinsen is a little silver plate on 3/v slide, what causes you to "worry about the amount of work the Severinsen will require." ? Is your concern that there may be some hidden issues?

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I'd go with the Severinsen.

4. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    +1

5. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    The Severnsen, those horns are players. Does it have both tuning slides?

6. Cowtowntrumpet

Cowtowntrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Another vote for the Severinsen.

7. PakWaan

PakWaan Piano User

Apr 4, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    The Capri is a great horn, but it's not a Severinsen. I've got a Capri (my first horn), a 73 Severinsen, a new Eterna Classic, a 700 Eterna II, a 300 and a 400 I bought for grins. Planning to buy a 3051 then I'll be happy ;)

Getzens are great horns - but the Severinsen is a classic. Just make sure the valves are lightning fast, like all Getzens, then buy it!

8. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    The Severinsen is a top drawer professional horn.
    The Capri is an okay horn but will never be in the same class.
    The Severinsen will work in any big band in the country, a great concert band horn too.
    Buy THAT one!

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I have a Severinsen and access to a LB Severinsen! Both are great horns. Buy the Severinsen and don't look back.

10. Artifex

Artifex New Friend

Oct 13, 2014
    Omaha Nebraska
    I have no idea other than the sellers description what issues it may have. I know Getzens valves are somewhat of an industry standard, but I also have to wonder about compression , alignment, or other costly issues. I know the Capri is a player right out of the gate since it was just reconditioned.