Getzen Renaissance

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Trumpet1Ohio, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Trumpet1Ohio

Trumpet1Ohio Piano User

Jun 22, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I found a NEW Getzen Renaissance Trumpet. I think it '70s era. Left over from a music store closing years ago and was never sold. It's a .464 bore laquer horn. The bell is, I think you call it, rose laquer. Very pretty horn and it perfect condition in every way.

Any idea what it is worth? Anyone know it's playing characteristics?

2. wrbandel

wrbandel Pianissimo User

Mar 9, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    Does your trumpet say Renaissance on the lead pipe or anywhere else on the horn. It was my understanding the the "Renaissance" brand was introduced in the early '90s. And subsequential discontinued about ten years later. The only reason I ask, is because I bought mine about the time they first came out. It was marketed as a new professional horn. And I ended up buying the large bore, and it was (and still is) a fantastic horn. For me at least it is a very open and free blowing horn.

I've contacted Getzen to find out for sure, and will let you know what they say.

Warren

3. Trumpet1Ohio

Trumpet1Ohio Piano User

Jun 22, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I didn't buy it. Wanted more info and value. The woman that has it really knows zero about the horn. As I recall it does say Renaissance on the lead pipe.

Has a name plate on the case, too.

4. btomcik

btomcik New Friend

Sep 27, 2005
    I have a Getzen Renaissance 30S that I bought on closeout from WW&BW. It has a medium large bore. It's been a fantastic horn with great valves, easy blowing and bright sound.

Value - I'd probably guess $1000-$1500.

5. Trumpet1Ohio

Trumpet1Ohio Piano User

Jun 22, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    The horns priced at $800... a great deal IMO. If anyone's interested let me know and I'll hook you up.

6. LonesomeShorty

LonesomeShorty New Friend

Sep 7, 2008
    Wadsworth, Ohio
    When the Getzen brothers took their father's company back from United Music, they created the Getzen Renaissance in order to make a statement about the level of quality previously associated with the Getzen name. I bought one in the early 1990's from Woodwind and Brasswind for $750.00. I have owned and played a Bach, King, Conn, Olds but this Getzen Renaissance was the best as far as free-blowing, tone, precision valves and it was a good-looking horn.

I had to sell it due to economic circumstance and have recently started searching the Internet in order to find another of these fabulous horns.

MJ likes this.
  7. Trumpet4Sale

Trumpet4Sale New Friend

Feb 5, 2009
    Hello! Complete and humble Novice here. I have a ~1997 Getzen Renaissance 20 that was purchased for a Senior High student, looking to make the move up to an excellent trumpet...then they discovered horses, biology in college, and lost interest. Oh yeah, and it's now time to pay up on all those please-take-our-money-easy-to-get college loans... I am, therefore, seeking guidance from this forum of experts on how to best sell the trumpet; for example, pointers, resources like websites/books, whatever you would do to prepare a trumpet to be in top condition, and placed for sale in a top-rate ad, in the best light, and in the appropriate location within this forum, or other locations such as eBay, Craigslist, local college with a music conservatory, or other.

I realize I just asked for help on a number of questions, but I'm hoping it makes sense, you can relate, and might be able to help in even one area. Thank you in advance for sharing any advice you can!

Questions welcomed.

8. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    I havenot played one but have heard them and they sound really nice. They where considered proffessional model by Getzen year's ago but then again the Extern 700 was also once considered a pro model. I would love to play one but can only give you second hand info. If the price is good I woudl buy it and have fun with it as they have always sounded good. When the Seversen Model of Extrna went away a lot of Marachi guy's in California gave the Ren. a try which is where I heard them. They sounded really good to me. If the price is right you surely can not go wrong I would try to get them to bite for $600 cash in hand and see if they go for it! Have the cash handy and flash it about. They might come down some.?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  9. BobD

BobD New Friend

Jan 6, 2005
    lovevixen555,

You need to read more carefully before replying. He is trying to sell the trumpet not buy it.

Woops I need to read the whole thread...you were answering the OP. Sorry.

10. mooring75

mooring75 New Friend

Dec 10, 2008
    Westford Ma
    I own a .464 bore Renaissance that I have had for the past 2 years.
    It has a rose brass bell and plays very well.
    The valves are to die for!
    I can play this in just about any setting, but use it for any classical work that I do.
    I recommend this horn, the values are up there and with a Getzen you get a horn that will last a lifetime..