Getzen Rumors

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Brett Getzen, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Just louk for rong speeled wordz

2. cmg

cmg Pianissimo User

Mar 20, 2007
    Michigan
    Ise speeled rong wordz on mah trumpat unze and it maid uh beeg mezz...

3. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Well, I don't always have shpell Cxeck on eether; The key word I used is he was recognized by it . His ("poor", as I called it) spelling had a unique common structure. I could assume that he grew up speaking and writing another language fluently before English. French maybe? Then again, maybe it was time for a new keyboard., Because the only other language I'm vaguely (sp?) familiar with is music!

And as far as being on the look out, this is true. I sure feel suckered by the dynamic sponge bob duo that got canned yesterday. Though one had birthed a good debatable thread that I enjoyed arguing on (it's true, I like to argue, oh, you knew that? , no you didn't). I think the trolls can be spotted early on when you notice perhaps they never follow up from their first post.

4. Fluffy615

Fluffy615 Piano User

Nov 30, 2006
    New Jersey
    I can't beleive he's using that name now!!:evil: We Star Trek fans get called enough names. Maybe his transporter signal will get misdeirected onto a passing Kingon Battle Cruiser.:thumbsup: Then they can deal with him.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hey guys, let's use the lounge for non-trumpet things like ex-members. LVs problem, like several other exes was not his command of the inklitch languitch. Attitude is the problem. There is nothing wrong with a handicap, whether it be health, trumpet or golf. In a community, it is your willingness to be a part of the whole.
    So, in the interest of the whole, keep this thread on topic.

6. Brett Getzen

Brett Getzen Pianissimo User

Sep 19, 2006
    Elkhorn, WI
    It's funny how in the thread over on TH the rumor was said to have come from here. And on here, the only time anyone mentioned it was in one thread, worded almost exactly the same way, and said to have come from someone else. Oh well. I think I found the one tiny shred of truth that may have started the whole thing. This is a copy of my post on TH explaining it.

Brett Getzen

OK, I think I got to the bottom of this rumor. As usual, it was based loosely in some truth.

In the early 70's, Selmer was shutting down the Buescher plant in Elkhart. At that time, my grandfather went down there to buy some parts and old stock. Part of the purchase included about 200 Bach trumpets. These trumpets were Mt. Vernon Strads and Selmer K Modifieds that were warranty returns to the factory in Mt. Vernon after Selmer bought Bach but before the move to Elkhart. During the move to Elkhart, these horns were boxed up and shipped along with everything else. They were thrown into storage at the Buescher. It was easier just to send back new horns rather than repairing the old ones.

Anyway, these horns were bought along with everything else and re-finished here. The vast majority of them only had finish problems like bad plating or lacquer. All of the trumpets were stripped, buffed, and silver plated. Then they were sold as used horns. None of them were built from parts and sold out the back door. It was no different than buying a bunch of second hand trumpets and refurbing them.

Here is the real kicker. At the time, we paid in the neighborhood of $.35 per pound for everything. Figure what, three pounds per trumpet? So a little over a dollar for an slightly flawed Strad. The horns were all refinished and sold for, get this, $200. What a kick in the stomach. I would love to have a pile of almost new, silver plated Mt. Vernon Strads to sell right now. Whew.

So there you go. Like I said, there was a little truth to the story. It was just exaggerated a little.

7. Fluffy615

Fluffy615 Piano User

Nov 30, 2006
    New Jersey
    Sorry Robin. I just couldn't resist the Star Trek reference.

8. Darthsunshine

Darthsunshine Mezzo Forte User

Jul 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    And I'd love to BUY one from you... for $200! Glad you decided to do some on-List sleuthing on this story. Entertaining little historical tidbit :D

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    :oops::shhh:

10. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Your company has a great reputation. I have one of your bugles that I use during military funerals. As a member of Bugles Across America, I am honored that you are one of our supporters.