Getzen Severinsen. Third valve slide patch?

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by JRgroove, Sep 12, 2017.

1. JRgroove

JRgroove Mezzo Piano User

Apr 8, 2014
    Kansas City
    I'm looking at this Getzen as a possible purchase. I already have a Severinsen that plays well but it's a little beat up. I'm really only interested in another Severinsen if it is a serious upgrade.

Picture #1. Is this a patch? What causes this to be needed?

Picture #2. What's up with the dots on the lead pipe? Should I be concerned?

IMG_1327.JPG

Image 9-12-17 at 10.10 PM.jpg

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  2. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    #1 looks like a patch to me. Maybe it had a dent that split?
    #2 dots could be red rot. Doesn't look to bad

3. Bflatman

Bflatman Forte User

Nov 27, 2008
    Manchester, England
    In life if you start off being unhappy about something your unhappiness grows.

I would walk away and find something that you are happy with.

Unhappiness is natures way of telling us we are being less than sensible.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    That is a patch and it's in a very odd place! My guess is that the retaining clip wasn't in place and 3rd valve was pressed with the horn pointing down and the slide fell out. All the slides on the Eterna series I've played are really fast and will release when the valve(s) are pressed. The black dots are a more serious issue. I'm 99% sure that is red rot. It is a known problem with early Getzen for folks with bad body chemistry and poor cleaning habits. I'm sure the lead pipe can be replaced though, so if the price is low enough... . Look down the pipe with a light to see if there is any visible pitting. If you do get it, I would get an original 3rd slide clip. That looks like a Bach clip (could explain the patch). The Getzen clips work better.

JRgroove likes this.
  5. Carroll W. Schroeder

Carroll W. Schroeder Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2009
    McMinnville, Oregon
    Hey Tobylou, you know your stuff on Getzens, I really think you can do better, there are a lot of Getzens out there. how much money and pain are you going to have in a horn like the one your showing, it does have red rot in the lead pipe and the silver is not that good either, the patch well you just called it. You should have better luck with another source.

tobylou8 and JRgroove like this.
  6. OldSchoolEuph

OldSchoolEuph Mezzo Piano User

Apr 1, 2011
    Michigan
    I would need to see higher resolution/better focus before declaring the dots red rot. There are dots on the receiver that appear identical in the photo, and by the time red rot could burn through that, the pipe would be dust. It may be rot, or it may be surface damage.

The slide concerns me more, and would have me looking elsewhere for a horn to play. The patch appears fairly crude, so I would question what is underneath. Unless the damage was straightened, and the patching technique skilled/detailed enough, there can be intrusions in the slide that will be detrimental.

Yes, you could replace the slide, but what else is wrong with this horn? I'ld move on unless I was just looking for something that will hang on the wall or serve as a visual aid in a lecture.

tobylou8 and JRgroove like this.