Getzen Super Deluxe

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by tom turner, Nov 10, 2003.

1. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    eclipse

Getzen Super Deluxe
    « Thread started on: 11/04/2003 at 15:32:26 »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I was wondering if anyone has more info than i already have on this?

I bought it today, i thought it was one of the nicest and well made looking horns i have ever seen.

Its a long model cornet and has copper accents all over it, and a copper rim garland.

I forgot to bring home the serial number to post, and it also said something like tone enhanced on the bell garland, but cannot remember.

I can only imagine that with its name and the quality of build that this was a top of the range horn in its day, but then again most stuff was made to a great quality then so it is hard to say

The valves are great and the instrument is in ok condition, but will be put into like new condition soon.

Anything you may know about these great beasts then please let me know.

I am not sure that i am gonna be able to sell this one, its just too nice!

Many Thanks

Leigh

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    www.eclipsetrumpets.com

Trptmaster
    Administrator

Re: Getzen Super Deluxe
    « Reply #1 on: 11/04/2003 at 15:36:50 »

Sorry Leigh don't know much about cornets. Sounds like you got a nice one though. Mr. Tom Turner will know I bet but I think he is on the road right now.

TM

Tootsall

« Reply #2 on: 11/04/2003 at 19:23:09 »

Been looking for a picture of a Super Deluxe cornet but so far all I've found is the Super Deluxe trumpet with the "Tone balanced" (garland) bell. Very, very nice looking horn. Should be a real player as well. Get a good mouthpiece and start honking...you sure know enough guys who can set you down the right path!

(hello, Noel!)

Anything to speed up the process of encouraging you to produce an Eclipse cornet!

http://www.musictrader.com/getzen.html will get you the age of your "new to you" horn once you've got the s/n.

Edit: whups....that list only starts in 1962!

« Last Edit: 11/04/2003 at 19:24:50 by Tootsall » Logged

Schilke B1/GR66***
    Eterna 800 L/Sparx 4
    Jupiter 846L/Jupiter 7
    http://www.lcbs.ca

Japle

« Reply #3 on: 11/05/2003 at 20:06:27 »

I had a 1958 Super Deluxe trumpet a couple of years ago. The valves were great and it was a good-sounding horn.
    A repairman I met told me the brass, copper and nickel parts were solid, no plated. He did some work at the Getzen factory and the SD was a favorite of the old-timers there.

One thing's for sure; nobody will mistake it for anything else!!

John
    Cape Canaveral

Trptmaster
    Administrator

« Reply #4 on: 11/05/2003 at 21:03:09 »

I have played a couple of Getzens in my day and the Valves are fantastic. If I am not mistaken Mr. Monette used Getzen valve sections in his early horns for a very long time. Does Monete make his own valve sections now?

2. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    The David G. Monette Corp. uses Getzen pistons, but makes the rest of the valve block themselves. This is similar to what Cliff Blackburn does, in using Kanstul valves. Cliff makes his own valve block, too.

Bruce

3. azerba

azerba New Friend

Dec 21, 2003
    Pendleton, Oregon USA
    I sure know something about them, I used to play on a Deluxe, but mine did not have the copper acents, unfortunately that is the model I wanted, but they changed the Super Deluxe to just the sound rim being silver and the rest brass and silver color without the copper/bronze accents. They stopped producing you model in about 1961 or 1962.

4. camel lips

camel lips New Friend

Feb 16, 2004
    Ive still got mine with the two tone accent.plays like a dream come true.

I am going to sell it for $200 so I can get a eterna trumpet.

5. jo-rae-me

jo-rae-me New Friend

Apr 9, 2004
    Nice Horn!
    They really look the part, and do they play that dixie!!
    Im a current user of the Getzen Super Deluxe Tone Balanced cornet myself. They are really stunning to look at in good condition.
    If you can tell me how to post a photo, I will.
    Copy and paste wont work? Any suggestions?
    Jo-rae-me

6. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Posting Photos:

1) you need to get them onto a website somewhere. There are several "free" photo hosting services. The one that Thevor stumbled onto and clued me in on is http://www.photobucket.com . It holds an awful lot of photos and has pretty significant access rights.

2) then you need to post a message in here using some html editing stuff. what you do is go to your picture (say... in Photobucket), expand the photo to whatever size suits you (try to keep it "not too big" or we'll have to scroll back and forth to read the whole forum).

3) then enter everything inside the < > brackets

< [​IMG] >

4) To get the youphoto"properties"link part is to do a right click on the photo, select "properties", and then do a "click/drag-highlight/copy". Then come over to the message you are writing and do a "paste", then fill in the [​IMG] before and after the photo link.

5) Hope you can understand this.. it's 4:30 am and I'm on the road in about 1/2 hour.

7. jo-rae-me

jo-rae-me New Friend

Apr 9, 2004
    Thanks for the info. Sorry its sooo late for you. (4.30am) I'll have to send some photos to the web bucket. I havent used a web based photo storage service before, but its never too late to try. I'll give it a go.
    If all works, I'll have a few photos soon. :eek:)
    Cheers and thanks again for the info.
    Jo

8. jo-rae-me

jo-rae-me New Friend

Apr 9, 2004
    Well folks if you want a look at a Getzen Super Deluxe Tone Balanced Long Cornet...Tri coloured and all...click on the link. I might not have worked out the photo side if things here...but it works fine on ebay! :lol:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?MfcISAPICommand=ViewItem&item=3717615890
    After a rather quick..(and heated discussion with my other half)..it has been decided that one of my two Getzen Supers needs a new home. :(
    Any takers?
    Jo