Getzen Trumpet Construction Issue

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Just picked up a Getzen 3001MV to try and noticed that there is an obvious seam that is in the bell, plus there is a series of 4 or 5 notches that run along the underside of the bell. What is surprising is that this is very visible and almost looks like a manufacturing defect. My Yammie 2335 is flawless in this regard, and may be why Yamaha has a sterling reputation.
    Any thoughts...I called Getzen and they claim this is normal. It's hard to believe that they can't build a horn that is cosmetically as good as the competition.

2. Moshe Mizrachi

Moshe Mizrachi Pianissimo User

Feb 17, 2010
    That they are visible is normal.
    The only way to make them invisible is to silver-plate the instrument?

Is the seam smooth to the touch?
    If it is not smooth to the touch, then that would be poor workmanship.
    But for the seam to be visible is normal.
    The seam is visible on many brands of instruments.

"Early Elkhart, Mt. Vernon bells have the seam running towards the valve section."
    [see the photo there halfway down the page]
    BachLoyalist.com - Trumpet Evolution

"I have a Calicchio copper-bell flugelhorn and know several players with Kanstul flugels with copper bells, and they all have that visible seam. The only way to avoid it would be to electroform the bells, or hide the seam (as well as the copper) with plating."
    http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f139/plating-options-32137-3.html

BTW, you ask if it is normal,
    but then you assume that it is a defect and you severely bad-mouth Getzen in your post.
    That Getzen is greatly superior to your Yamaha 2335.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  3. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    I read from someone here on another thread that those notches were normal and connecting points for the bell and bell pipe. Cosmetic issues I am not familiar with. Maybe others will give opinions.

4. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    How does it play?

I think, it's fairly easy to make it look good.
    To make it look good and play ???

5. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    What finish is on the horn?

Is it a satin gold finish?

On a satin finish or raw metal finish, you WILL be able to see the seams.

This is perfectly normal and will not affect any of the playing characteristics of the horn.

My scratch gold Eclipse and my satin gold Lawler both showed seams.

Shiny silver of gold plating will hide the seams.

6. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    The horn plays very, very nice. I was surprised that there would be a very visible seam in the front of the bell. My trumpet universe, until one week ago was limited to Yamaha. BTW, the YTR-2335 is a fine horn, but the 3001 has a nicer blow, and a bit darker in tone. The 3001MV is silver plated. Perhaps it's because I am a total rookie in the trumpet world, but it seems that when you spend over 2K on a trumpet, the manufacturer would make it look as nice as it sounds. To the novice, this actually looks like a flaw.
    If seams and notches are always plainly visible in a silver plate horn from Getzen, then that's the way it is. Perhaps I was spoiled by the cosmetic quality of the Yammie. The Getzen's valves are world class.
    And, there is a definite and obvious "ridge" as you run your index finger around the front of the bell over the seamed area.

7. Moshe Mizrachi

Moshe Mizrachi Pianissimo User

Feb 17, 2010
    You never told us that the instrument was silver-plated.
    I checked that model's details before responding and the basic one is lacquered brass.

If you can feel a definite ridge there, and the silver-plating did not hide it, then I would say that Getzen should have done a better job smoothing out the seam before silver-plating it.
    That is a minor defect, much less important than how the instrument plays.
    But if other ones of your model have the seam smoothed out before silver-plating, than I would ask Getzen to replace your trumpet.
    The old original Conn company would have considered that a defect enough to put an "X" next to the serial number and sell at a discount price, and Getzen definitely wants to have a standard and reputation far above that of the old original Conn company.
    Did you explain to Getzen that your trumpet is silver-plated when you called them?

8. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    It is interesting that Conn would have flagged this and Getzen allowed it to go out the door. I do not target Getzen, but it is a huge surprise to me that they simply did not do a better job in this area. Perhaps this does not represent the vast majority of their horns. Maybe the issue of QC is not emphasized as it was in the past.

9. Schwab

Schwab Mezzo Piano User Staff Member

Feb 26, 2004
    We can't see a photo of what you are making a huge deal out of, so assuming that Getzen wouldn't let a piece of crap out their door (which they wouldn't), please stop smearing Getzens good name and quality control.

Thats the way horns are made. You'll see the seam in Bachs, Getzens, Kanstuls, the Artist model Yamahas etc, etc, etc.

Your student Yamaha doesn't have the seam because the bell was plasma welded, which is a totally different construction technique than Getzen and most other companies use.

Vulgano Brother likes this.
  10. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I believe I know what you are talking about. The seam is not only visible, but is rough to the touch with indentations of 1 to 2 millimeters in a zipper pattern. This imprefections extends for maybe 2 inches. I'm basing this on what I saw on another horn (http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f139/bell-seam-visible-53925-2.html).

If I look real hard on my silver Getzen Piccolo, I can see the bell seam as a straight line with no indentations or zipper pattern. And no matter how hard I look, I can't see a bell seam on my silver Getzen M2003ES Field Trumpet or my silver 1974 Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn (although I assume there's one there).

I'm a big fan of Getzen horns, as you can see from my list below. I got a chance to play the 3001MV a while back, and it's an excellent trumpet.

You should clarify with Getzen about what they feel is "normal". They may have misunderstood you. A slightly visible seam, such as what is on my piccolo is probably normal. But I wonder if this rough imperfection is normal. And if it is normal, I'm sure they can give you a good explanation as to why. Brett, Mary, and the rest of the staff are great people, and are very helpful.