Getzen Trumpet Construction Issue

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    I stated the horn plays nicely, that this is a cosmetic issue. If this was not obvious to the eye, as well as to the touch, it would be a non-issue. No one is being smeared. This is simply an example of the trumpets from Getzen. This seam does have a notched "zipper" pattern that runs along the underside of the bell. And if Bach, and other companies that silver plate their horns have ridges/seams that are visible to the eye as well as the touch, then that is a simple fact of manufacturing. And this is an education for me as well. I have never observed an obvious seam in any silver plated trumpet that has been previously sampled.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  2. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    The cosmetic issue is that the horn proudly displays that the bell has been manufactured using the centuries old stitching method.

Schwab likes this.
  3. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Very interesting! However, just checked with a local (DFW) mega-dealer in trumpets and was advised that all of the silver models in the store from all manufacturer's, including Getzen, show zero signs of seams, ridges, stapling, stitching, etc.

4. CHAMP

CHAMP Piano User

Nov 16, 2005
    your joking right...did you call up and say "i saw this horn with really ugly seam, ridge, stapling, stiching thing on the bell and wondered if the horns you sell have this too?"

you think they were going to put you on hold, go to the warehouse (being a "mega-dealer), pull out the horns, inspect them closely and tell you they did after the negative way you probably asked about it???

i bet they thought you were interested in actually buying something...

5. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    They had 4 trumpets on their display wall...Bach, Getzen, Yamaha, Eastman. After a lengthy and thorough discussion with the sales person, I was told there were no seams period! And yes, they invited me down to see for myself.

6. Schwab

Schwab Mezzo Piano User Staff Member

Feb 26, 2004
    I can't believe I'm saying this a third time, but that is how horns are made.

Your cosmetic "issue" is a non-issue.

7. Moshe Mizrachi

Moshe Mizrachi Pianissimo User

Feb 17, 2010
    Now that the OP has clarified the matter, I will say it for him:

If he can feel the seam,
    and if the seam is still visible even after it was silverplated,
    then Getzen did in inferior job on that particular trumpet.

Why should he settle for such an imperfection, even if it is only cosmetic, when all the other owners of that model paid the same price as he and they got a trumpet that didn't have that cosmetic imperfection?

Getzen uses a stitch seam rather than plasma welding?
    That is completely irrelevant, because after stitching the seam Getzen should have sanded / polished the seam until it was completely smooth.
    Such completely smooth seam would still be visible on a lacquered brass instrument, but it should be completely invisible after silver-plating the instrument.

Would you accept a new car that had an inferior body job / paint job because "it's just a cosmetic issue that doesn't affect the car's performance"?
    Of course not.

The OP should stop posting here and should pursue a replacement trumpet from Getzen.
    But it will hurt his position if he acts like a turd while talking with Getzen.
    He should be polite but firm when asking Getzen for a replacement trumpet.
    And he should let Getzen know that he has discussed the matter with us here in Trumpet Master, so that Getzen knows that its public reputation is at stake.

8. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Thanks for all of the advice. I do appreciate it and by no means did I intend to attack anyone's reputation. Just trying to learn through your help and assistance.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  9. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    If it's that bad, takes some pictures and post them here on TM.

10. jcsoloist

jcsoloist New Friend

Oct 3, 2006
    Tennessee
    I have a Genesis 3003 model in satin silver. The seam is clearly visible, but I rarely play it with the valves facing the ground so I don't ever see the seam.