Getzen Trumpet Construction Issue

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Sep 20, 2010.

1. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I think we're being too rough on the OP. And I think some of us are confusing a visible bell seam (which one of my Getzen horns has) with a rough indentation along the bell in a zipper pattern (which none of my Getzen horns have). See my earlier post in this thread.

He was looking for some validation/clarification from the TM community. I don't think he was trying to smear anyone on purpose. He's made contact with Getzen, and seems reassured.

Getzen's make great horns. I own 4 of them. But in then end, if he's not sure about the horn (for any reason), he should consider returning it.

2. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Hi JCSOLOIST. Help us out here, if you can. Is the seam visible, or is it also rough to the touch?

Anyone else have a Getzen Custom or Artist trumpet, who can also help out the OP?

Thanks.

3. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I have several different make plated trumpets.
    The only one I can see a seam on is the Monette.
    I wouldn't drive yourself crazy over this.

Machine made items tend to come out perfect.
    Hand crafted things tend to have a blemish here and there.

While they want it to look good, the most important aspect is how it plays.

4. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    You must really hate this guy or, you work at the Getzen factory

5. hup_d_dup

hup_d_dup Piano User

May 28, 2009
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA
    That seam driving you crazy? ;-)

6. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Never saw it before today and couldn't care less about it.

7. trumpetaddict

trumpetaddict New Friend

Sep 3, 2010
    i have a 700SP and it has no seam in it. Even though the 3001MV is a better horn

8. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Thank you to everyone for your input...this has been a major learning experience for me!
    After examining another 3001MV, it appears that all of the gold brass bells on the silver plated Custom Getzen horns display this feature, i.e., zippered (notched) seams. Getzen did send me an email stating this is a part of the normal manufacturing process.
    I am a complete rookie when it comes to trumpets, and as such offer my deepest and most sincere apology to anyone, including Getzen, for any misunderstanding or unintended offense that may have taken place.

9. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    There are 2 piece bells and 1 piece bells:

2 piece bells are essentially a tapered tube braised/plasma welded/plazuma welded to a pressed and cut bell flare.

1 piece bells are cut out of a piece of flat metal, folded in half lengthways and notched and braised along this seam. Then they are spun on a mandrel.

Of course your Getzen 700 has no seam visible. It has no seam! It is a 2 piece bell

The 3001, and a lot of other expensive trumpets use the traditional 1 piece bell.

10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    No seam or indication of one on my '78 Getzen Severinsen.