Getzen Trumpet Construction Issue

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Schwab

Schwab Mezzo Piano User Staff Member

Feb 26, 2004
    You know I don't work at the Getzen factory.

It takes YEARS to build up a great reputation like Getzen has, and seconds for someone who doesn't know what they're talking about to come on a public forum and ruin it.

It's like Moshe said:

2. jcsoloist

jcsoloist New Friend

Oct 3, 2006
    Tennessee
    You can see the seam but can't feel it at all. I think the satin silver finish just makes it easier to see.

3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Exactly!

When they bead blast it the seam is harder than the brass and it does not take the beading, therefore you see the seam.

Here is my Lawler C7 with a satin gold plate finish. You can clearly see the bell seam. Before it was plated, just polished, you could not see the seam.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  4. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I didn't think the guy was being malicious. I thought he had a concern and voicing it could sound badly for Getzen (maybe). Who would think badly? Most of us understand whats going on. People reading the thread saw the problem and the answer that it's normal.

The reason I'm posting any of this is because we see a lot of posts here that are geared towards causing trouble and a lot from people that just don't know the answers. I think we have to be careful about treating the naive posts like we would the malicious posts.

Lets not forget why we're here.
    I think we're here so people like you can help others be a better musician and learn more about the trumpet.

5. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Shhhhhh! Be a little more quiet so as not to draw attention to the seam. Now everyone will want a seam on their horn and there may not be enough seams to go around.

6. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Now that's funny stuff! ROFL:D

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I got upset about a seam on the bell of a horn that I bought in the 70s. The german master that built it, took me into the shop and taught me how bells are made - from cutting the sheet brass, folding the cutout, notching it so it would be a very strong seam - necessary because they beat the hell out of it with a hammer to get the bell shape that we know. Then the soldering, filing and buffing process. At the end, we filled the end with lead and put the bow in. A "visible" seam is not a defect. A "feelable" seam is not a defect, but a sign of the attention to detail by the company.

There are other problems with just about every horn on the planet that don't even get noticed. I don't want to go their today though.

Let's not forget that trumpets do not perfectly follow standard horn theory. The deviations from perfection are what actually lets us play them in tune with an even blow. A less than perfect tolerance on the valves keeps them reliably going up in down regardless of ambient temperature with a less than perfect oiling routine!

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Okay, now that I have the stronger reading glasses on and a magnifying glass I can see a tiny seam on the Severinsen. That means anybody in the audience with a magnifying glass and great eyesight or strong reading glasses will also be able to see it, if they're up really close. :-?

turtle

9. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Thanks for your input. This is essentially what Mary told me about the hand hammering process, and the way Getzen chooses to make their horns.
    Having a general lack of experience in this area, plus a bit anal (yes, I admit it!) I simply mistook the seams, ridges and notches as manufacturing flaws or improper plating (silver) technique. Perhaps you can understand as this was my first exposure to this having never observed this on any other brand of horn that I had played.

Again, thanks to everyone who chose to assist in setting the record straight!

10. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Wow.. I have a seam visible around my Eterna Classic bell that I didnt notice till after I played it with a mute for the first time. I thought it was a mild insertion mark that came through from the inside from the somewhat hard mute corks. Its a releaf to know that its Not my fault, but why didnt I see it before? Best wishes.