Getzen Trumpet Construction Issue

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Single Malt? If not you'll have two or more seams!

2. jim trpt1

jim trpt1 Pianissimo User

Aug 7, 2010
    greensboro nc
    God, Who cares a bout a small seam? If it plays well, ENJOY!

3. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    The truth is, my Severinsen is such a god-like instrument that, if it had a bumpy and crooked seam that resembled the spine of a dragon, I would show it off proudly.

Embrace the seam!

Turtle

btw, I think the coolest looking seam is on the Olds tri-color Special. No guessing about that construction .... A whole chunk of the bell is a different color/material.

4. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    Single malt, 18 year would be nice and not any of that Isley mess.....no ice :)

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I'll be on tour where that stuff (not the Getzen) is made the middle of next month.

6. wolfmann

wolfmann Pianissimo User

Aug 19, 2010
    Ill take some Grouse if you please :evil:

7. Sol

Sol Pianissimo User

Jan 25, 2004
    It sounds like Getzen made your bell by hand, using one sheet of brass to form the entire bell. If you look at an old Bach trumpet, you can also see the notches. The older Elkhart Bachs show a seam as well. On the Getzen Eterna, you can see a seam right before the bell flare. That's because the bell was made from two pieces. Some bells have no seam at all, such as Yamahas. (Not sure if all Yamahas are seamless). This is because the bell was fused together with a lazer. Anyway, be glad that your bell was hand made, and that it plays well! If you don't like the way the seam looks, you can always buy a Yammy.

8. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Yes, the hand made bell process was described to me by the people at Getzen. And, my 3001MV is a fantastic playing horn, with great feedback and resonance. That said, my Yammy 2335 is a pretty darn good horn also, just not quite in the same league as the Getzen. But considering the overall attention to detail, fit, and finish (especially plating), the Yamaha is better than the Getzen. I just had the valves on my 2335 custom hand lapped by the U.N.T. School of Music Brass Shop...WOW, now they are lightning fast and silky smooth! And, they are almost as quiet as the valves on the 3001. The 2335 has great compression and plays quite nicely as well. Not to take anything away from the people at Getzen, but I am more and more impressed with Yamaha. BTW, my teacher hates Yamaha trumpets!

9. huntermoss

huntermoss New Friend

Dec 31, 2009
    You do realize you're comparing a student Yamaha to a pro Getzen. If you really think the "yammy" is a better horn, then at least you'll never have to worry about the price of anything above that level of instrument.

10. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Personally, I think it adds character to the horn and shows how great the workmanship is. I see it on my Getzen 3850 Custom Cornet and love they way it looks on and in the bell