Getzen Trumpet Construction Issue

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Sep 20, 2010.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    That's a lot of seams.:stars:

Seems to me that's one covered issue!

Turtle

2. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Yet it doesn't seem to be a real issue...

3. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    What's one more post :shhh: Does the horn play? My newly aquired Getzen Capri (70's) plays circles around my Getzen 700s (90's), the 700 is pristine, the Capri has seen the years. Bottom line is, does it play? I sold my Yamaha 2330....rescue trumpet, beat to snot, missing parts & laquer....it played well also, wish I had it back. It's what comes out the horn that is important.....my $.02 :cool:

4. MilesFan51

MilesFan51 New Friend

May 22, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Well, here it goes. 059-001.jpg

5. MilesFan51

MilesFan51 New Friend

May 22, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Stitch marks on side of bell / very visible (new Mike Vax Artist Model - straight out of box) Above photo is defect in edge of bell and rim. 061-001.JPG

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Did you call Getzen?

7. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Sssshhhhh.....if more people hear about this they will want a seam on their trumpet.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

8. MilesFan51

MilesFan51 New Friend

May 22, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I called Getzen. They assured me the seam (that looks like Frankenstein's stitches) is normal for their one piece bell construction. Supposedly they don't want to sand down or smooth out these marks too much because they don't want to affect the sound of the bell. I returned this horn to the place I bought it and bought another Mike Vax trumpet from another dealer. Interestingly the 'stitch marks' are barely visible on this one, but for some reason there is still a problem with the bell rim at the area of the bell stitching. For some reason this area 'flattens out' for about an inch (on the pictures I'm including look at the area between 4 and 6 o'clock on the bell rim). It's not a very big defect/variant,,,but I can definitely notice it,,,,,,and something about paying over $2,000 to have anything but a perfect bell rim really bothers me. At least Getzen should have a disclaimer on their website so people will have a heads up. If you look at the picture of this model on their website (see the website under 'Artist Model / Mike Vax') is flawless. 005.JPG 005-001.JPG

9. MilesFan51

MilesFan51 New Friend

May 22, 2011
    Los Angeles
    FYI - the first Mike Vax model I sent back had this same 'flattened out' rim issue