Gezen Super Deluxe

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by scotty1998, Sep 15, 2009.

1. scotty1998

scotty1998 New Friend

Sep 15, 2009
    Hi all,

I'm currently in the market for a trumpet for my 11 year old son. He's been playing my '72 Conn Connstellation Cornet to get by but I'd rather get him something that is his own and something he can grow into.

I'm aware of the recommended models of trumpet for someone just starting out. Bach TR300, Olds Ambassador, Yammy 2335, and the Getzen 300. However, there's a Gezen Super Deluxe for sale right now with a first valve that "hangs up." Now this could mean any number of things but I'm weighing in the possibilities of the cost of having it fixed. Now I know you're not all fortune tellers but would you take the chance? There appears to be no damage to the casing. There are plenty of fish in the sea but this one has me intrigued. What do you all think?

2. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    How's the plating of the valves?

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    A very thin bell on those horns makes them vulnerable to damage - probably not the best horn for a youngster. Great horns otherwise.

veery

4. marsuleu

marsuleu Piano User

Mar 30, 2009
    Bucharest , Romania
    check the valves if they have rust/coloured spots and any other kind of possible time prints... if they are clean and shiny , I think it's not a major problem . a good bath , some synth oil and I think the hang up will dissapear. I tell you this because I know that Getzen valves are very good . I bought an old 300 series from 1973 and the valves are(looks) almost "new" . first I used Schilke UltraFast mineral oil , and all valves were sticky... after that ,I applied Yamaha Synthetic Regular Oil, and valves are the smoothest I've ever played.

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I'd keep looking...

6. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008

Too many red flags. You could easily spend more reparing it than the horn is worth. I'd pick something a little more sturdy if you're looking for a horn to grow into.

7. scotty1998

scotty1998 New Friend

Sep 15, 2009
    Wow thanks for all of the great responses. The valve looks like it's lost some of the original finish but doesn't appear damaged. However the slippery slope is of course what others have pointed out. I can have it resurfaced at a cost only to potentially surpass what the trumpet is worth. I know that Getzen still services these instruments so maybe the best thing is to find out what such a repair would cost. However, this will be a student horn so my search may be better focused elsewhere.

Thanks!

8. johnande

johnande Pianissimo User

Jun 3, 2009
    western Wyoming
    The Getzen Super Deluxe is a fine vintage horn. The one you are looking at on Ebay appears to have an exceptional external finish. I don't believe that Getzen supports these horns anymore, so any repair would probably have to be done by an independent repair shop, the cost of which could be significant depending on the damage. If the piston is also damaged this would further increase the cost. I would not hesitate to buy this instrument if I were willing to gamble on the cost of repair. Photos of the pistons might help you make a decision... JA (Getzen player)

9. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
  10. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    As the proud owner of a Getzen Super Deluxe trumpet and a sister cornet I can attest to the good and bad qualities of that model. The advice that you have received thus far is ABSOLUTELY factual. The Super De Luxe is NOT for a beginning student!!! The Conn Connstelation is a super fine instrument and if the kid will be a bit careful with it, it can last him/her through college. It is a well made, tough, artist grade instrument that the kid 'should be' proud to have in any band or orchestra setting. I want one myself.

OLDLOU>>