Ghp brass has launched!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Rocketman, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Rocketman

Rocketman New Friend

May 11, 2004
    NC
    Announcement—GHP BRASS, an online trumpet “boutique”, launched yesterday at GHP Brass We have invested a great deal of time and effort to select those trumpet-related items that we feel every serious trumpeter should consider owning. Of course, there will never be total agreement on the very best of anything but this is our best effort to find great products at great prices or, simply put, great values. As you can see, we’re starting small and simple but our plan is to gradually include additional items that impress us as important and of great value. Please visit our site to see what we have to offer. Thanks for listening. –Ken Barnes, owner of GHP BRASS

2. NYTC

NYTC Forte User

Nov 1, 2004
    Brooklyn,NY
    Ken,
    Congratulations and best of luck.

Felix

3. Rocketman

Rocketman New Friend

May 11, 2004
    NC
    Thanks for that Felix! I appreciate it. --Ken B.

4. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I have a question....

In your used horns section you have a picture of a "70s" Getzen Severisen trumpet.

You state that the lever style water keys were replaced with Amado water keys.

I owned an original Getzen Severinsen trumpet with the serial number under 1000, and then thrree other Getzen Severinsen models.

They came with Amado keys standard...so how did that one have lever keys?

5. Rocketman

Rocketman New Friend

May 11, 2004
    NC
    That is a bit curious. I don't know the complete history of Getzen horns but I do have pictures of the original horn before modifications if you'd like to see that. You can PM me and I will be happy to send those to you. I do know the horn was all original when I bought it and I did get it from the original owner. The work to change those water keys and all the other upgrades were done by Tom Green at Green's buffing. I think he did a fantastic job, don't you? Please let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks-Ken B.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  6. Rocketman

Rocketman New Friend

May 11, 2004
    NC
    You raised an interesting question so I sent an e-mail to Getzen and have already received a reply. First, I should say that, based on my serial number, they identified the year of manufacture as approximately 1968-1969. In my ad, I had estimated it at 1970. So, perhaps, that threw you off a bit. At any rate, here is the official answer from Getzen:

Mr. Barnes,

Thank you for contacting us.

Amado waterkeys did not come into play until early 1970's, around 1971. Until that time Getzen used lever waterkeys. Amado's weren't available for the most part until early 70's. To my knowledge, Getzen was one of the first, if not the first manufacturer to begin using the Amado waterkeys. Getzen signed with Amado Laboratories - Mr. Ray Amado designer of the Amado waterkey around 1970-71.

7. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    That is most unusual.

In 1968 my father bought a Getzen Eterna Severinsen model. (used, from my close friend)

I used the horn for two years in high school until I graduated in 1970.

It had Amado water keys....I hated them back then

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Welcome to TM, Ken, and the best of luck!

I owned a Severinsen with two valve slides and lever water keys. Great horn, and I played it to death.