Giddings and Webster Stainless Mouthpieces...

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by Brad-K, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    I noticed they are advertising on this site.

In light of that (or despite of that), does anyone know about these mouthpieces? Any users/lovers/haters (based on actual experience, of course)?

They look interesting to me...and I have a fondness and appreciation for stainless, having fabricated with it before (or at least tried to...it's a biatch to work with!) ...Seems like they would have a nice resonance to them.

They also use Titanium, which also is interesting.

2. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    Wow. No one? Ok then, thoughts?....opinions?.....theories?.....wild ass guesses?

3. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    I like my Al Cass, My Monette, My GR, mp's. I prefer brass. It is like marriend to your trumpet. I'm not interested in changing what works for me.

4. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    SS sounds cool....never tried one though. I'd like a solid silver mouthpiece though or even a solid copper.

5. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    I know a few low brass players that really like them. I haven't heard anything about the trumpet pieces.

6. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    When I play low brass I use LOUD mouthpieces which are stainless steel. They are very comfortable and resonate better, but I'm not so sure on how it works on the trumpet. Plus, you already feel warmed up when you play it.

7. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    I have two of the G&W's, a 1.25 Helios 144 Medium in polished stainless and a David Hickman model in satin stainless. They're beautifully made, play well, but for one reason or another neither has become anything near a favorite. The feel of the satin stainless really takes some getting used to it, and I still much prefer a polished gold-plated mouthpiece to anything else. I really need to give them some more playing time, as I've been going through a very long comeback process complicated by a full dental reconstruction, and my taste in mouthpieces has changed almost continuously. They're definitely high-quality mouthpieces, just so far not exactly right for me.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I need MONTHS to hear if a mouthpiece is good or better. The first impressions are worthless. I don't have months to play around so no chance on me messing around with G&W.

9. DrDave

DrDave Piano User

Nov 26, 2004
    Vancouver, BC
    G and W are excellent mouthpieces from the few that I have seen and worked on. Stainless steel in general does feel and sound different than brass. It can be sticky or slippery, depending on how much oil is on your skin. SST pieces tend to be more responsive than a comparable brass mouthpiece, so they speak very quickly with soft articulation. On the down side they do tend to have a brighter sound and most players find the sound harder to warm up. The increased responsiveness can make them a little more prone to clams if you are not right down the center of the note. Great projection though. Some people really like SST, and some do not care for it at all.

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    my community band is filled with people who only play Bach Strads -- the mpc are divided almost evenly between the wedge and I think a Bach 3C --- so I am the only guy in the band who is different. Most of the trumpet players are in the "retirement" era --- and are resistant to change. Having said that --- I think new materials are awesome --- but my guess is that the younger crowd are the only ones who want to experiment!!!!!!!!!