Gig bags

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by CJHTrumpet, Feb 5, 2012.

1. CJHTrumpet

CJHTrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 8, 2011
    Illinois
    Alright, so I get my new trumpet within 2 weeks.. I travel a lot with the trumpet I have now, and the case takes so much room up.. And I've been thinking about getting a gig bag for my newer trumpet.. Advice, suggestions?

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    NO! Gig bags are not very protective. It is a basically a shopping bag that you hold your trumpet in. It will dent really easily. Get a Torpedo bag, they are light, small, and provide a ton of protection, literally!
    Torpedo Bags

3. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    If you're looking for a soft gig-bag I recommend the Reunion Blues double. I've had one for over 20 years and it's fantastic.

If you need something for protection then I second the recommendation for the torpedo. I have a torpedo classic and it's absolutely the best case I've owned.

4. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

If you want to carry around your trumpet without ever putting it down/out of your sight for a second, then a gig bag is fine :)
    However, I'd recommend a real case for most purposes. The torpedo is the most protective single case out there, and the outlaw is supposed to be half the weight, but still protective.
    There are relatively small cases out there too, the contoured ones are only a little bigger than the trumpet:
    Dillon Music - Pro-Tec Travel Light Trumpet PRO PAC Case
    but still manage to provide protection against glancing hits (I would handle them too roughly, but that's a good idea in general)

5. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    The SKB contoured trumpet case is small, fairly cheap, and a lot more protective than a gig bag. The only downside is it doesn't hold much more than the trumpet and one mouthpiece.

6. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I really like my Torpedo bag and the "mute bag" which clips to it holds a lot, and this can be separated from the main barrel which I find handy when stowing the trumpet in the overhead compartment (keeping the mute bag with my novel, MP3 player, other stuff, handy near my feet).

--bumblebee

7. BlessingInDisguise

BlessingInDisguise New Friend

Sep 29, 2011
    New England
    +1 on the SKB. I got one with a horn on ebay and I like it very much. It's very compact and plenty strong. I plan to resell the horn, but I am keeping that case!

8. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Eastman also have a very small contoured fiberglass single case...in many colors!

9. krmanning

krmanning Pianissimo User

Apr 18, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    Torpedo Outlaw. Significantly lighter than the standard Torpedo, still LOTS of protection. I use a standard Torpedo when I travel and my Outlaw day to day around town.

10. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I recently got this one to carry a trumpet back and forth to work:

Reunion Blues Trumpet - RBCT1

It is not a hard-shell case, but for going back and forth to work, it weights almost nothing and holds an extra-long horn, which is one of the reasons I got it.

The Protec contoured case is also quite good, and in fact, my sister dropped my horn off her tailgate bell-down and there was no damage (thank goodness, out of town for a funeral is no time to smack someone).

If you are clumsy or won't be in control of your horn 100% of the time, then a hard-shell case is the way to go.

Tom