Gig cancelled due to severe storms

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Ed Lee, Jul 4, 2011.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    UH -- for my opinion -- I think that is the point that everyone is looking at --- for you to play -- AND TO INSPIRE other people who have already thought they couldn't do anything --- because of their young/old age, or because of some health problems

YOU could inspire --- 1, 2, or a hundred people -- some who may just "feel sorry" for themselves --- BUT ANYWAYS, to me it was more about YOUR EFFECT, your testimony --- and how it could/would inspire many others ---after all YOU know you can play --:thumbsup:
    that is just my opinion

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I couldn't work undercover in SE DC as neighbors Oxon Hill, however our team did "roll" a truck coming off the Wilson Bridge. Not that they always lived in Oxon Hill, but that is where they scattered to and would hole up with girlfriends or others there. PG and MD state didn't have much presence there, nor did DC have much then either. Glad I retired from then BNDD Treasury. My injury occured with FPS.

Yeah, not many nationwide realize that the Redskin home games are actually played in MD as do the Ravens, however I did make it to some Terrapin games and got one of my degrees from MD. Now due to my health, I'm told not to eat any shell fish ... durn.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    First, musically IMO this area is barren of most music appreciation and what little there is is mostly gospel, country and blue grass genres. I've weeded out a few who are otherwise ... about at the tops the woman that was to have accompanied me today and had offered to accompany Teddy's performance of Mozart's Concert Rondo. It still stymies me about how to blend the brass sound into the sound of blue grass.

Still, don't fret! I've got my lips and fingers and all the rest of me at high activity towards other musical interests inclusive of some tutoring come the fall. There is also the potential of me forming my own combo and also playing in a community band.

4. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Hi Ed,
    It's a pity the good Lord didn't arrange the Thunder storm as an encore for your performmance, still it sounds like a 4th July to remember for a few years.

Those goals for the near future sound good.
    Good luck!

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I'm not fretting -- mostly because I don't play guitar or banjos ROFL --- Ed, just remember to never count yourself out on who you can inspire -- that was all ---- people who may never tell you, who walk away from the concert --- and open up their closet and pull out a long forgotten instrument -- and begin to play. Others who, possibly aging, will later go volunteer to help a neighbor, or start walking for their health --- reflecting on the "old" guy who played the trumpet -- who came back, despite his various health problems -- to give it everything he had -----
    YES -- those are the people -- YOU would inspire, and Yet not know this side of eternity.
    that is what I was talking about.:thumbsup:

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Sorry to hear about that Ed ... looking forward to playing and then..poof.. wellll it's just plain worse than getting to the middle of a jelly donut and finding nothing there... you know I tell the truth ... can I get an Amen
    No one has anything on Mother Nature when it comes to fireworks ... we get spoiled here in So Cal ... weather is generally nice.

7. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    We had a brief , but very heavy rain this afternoon, Ed. Things cleared out after that.:dontknow:
    Just got done watching the Capital Fourth show on PBS. Had some good marches at the end. during a rock segment Little Richard's back up band had a trumpet player using a pocket trumpet.....Buck:play::oops:

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I really don't like to have my hands on my horn during thunder and lightning, especially the lightning as a horn will conduct elecricity and even the thought of it is too reminescent of my episode last year with the defribillator paddles to stabilize my post surgical atrial fibrillation ... if not that I could become electrocuted by a lightning strike.

The good side of this storm is that with crops emerging here it had looked like we were heading into a drought as would have taken a toll on them. I'm not a farmer, but many of my neighbors are if only now a small family garden in the backyard of their homes. Too, we've shared in their bounty since we've moved here.

I've not yet learned the status of instrumental music in public schools here in the county, but earlier it was reported that the school board due to budget was considering cutting both band and all sports from the schools here. The parent of one of two students I have so far commited to tutor has told me she would not provide the expense of tutoring for her son if they did as there would be no purpose served. To some extent I cannot disagree as of yet I don't feel he has developed as strong an interest in music to continue forward despite any obstacle. One thought as is set in my mind is that music is an activity that provides an alternative to delinquency for our youth.

I've been invited to two organizational meetings for the Roanoke Valley Community Band and am assured a slot on some brass instrument if ever it becomes viable. We all know the crux of such is money and there isn't much of that anywhere around here including in my pockets. Well, a combo faces much the same ordeal and most likely moreso as it will require more currently copyrighted songs and we all know how much those licensing fees are. I would expect to build a repertoire of about 150 songs initially, constantly adding more and more. I've presently a commitment of pianist / keyboarder, drummer, and tenor saxophone (doubler on clarinet), but am still looking for trombonist. There are quite a few guitar players who have responded to my ad and I've culled most of them for various reasons including those that push to be lead and vocalist and are not yet qualified and capable of doing so IMO. Some I've talked to want only to play certain genres of music and they've been culled. Others just can't commit to playing out of this area even though I'm limiting my own distance to 100 mile radius at this time and may even lessen that, with occasional exception. Only time will tell what the future holds.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I've a video card in my computer and watched most of the DC 4th also and noted the pocket trumpet too. His hands covered too much of it to identify the brand and I really couldn't isolate his sound even though he played without mute (as I favor). Reception here wasn't that great with transmission challenges due to the severe weather along the VA NC border where we are. We have cable intead of dish but the link is still via towers. Still having seen the show live many times ... having spent many years working in DC as is where I met my present wife ... I'm not much for the video.

S CA wouldn't be my favored homesite although I like the music thereabout better than here. Never again will I fly commercial into LAX. I'll use John Wayne as alternative. My late brother's family lives in Tustin and points South, one daughter now lives in Monterey and what an ocean vista. Give me a rocking chair and that I could enjoy. Oh, I did say I started my LEO career in LA didn't I.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Remembering those before us that also gave their lives also in less than optimal "weather" is actually the bottom line.

Thus the storm is an opportunity to reflect - without the party!