Gig cancelled due to severe storms

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Ed Lee, Jul 4, 2011.

1. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Ed we call those sorts of storms "Gully Rakers" here in Oz. I was driving home from a country gig some years ago and got caught in such a violent storm - the hail broke the small rear quarter pane in my Honda - and ruined a perfectly good white dress shirt on the back seat - our storms often carry red dust with them and it makes mud quickly - it undercores the sheer power of Nature.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    We now commonly call it, "The Fourth of July Celebration", but "Independence Day" is it's statutory name here in the "United States of America" both as would not have been without our Armed Forces commitment including the risk of their very lives. Historical orators have stated it well, but very few have been in attendance to hear when an individual is sworn into our armed forces and made the very same commitment and as many of these have made that ultimate sacrifice of their lives or sustained severe illness or handicap as a consequence.

My two brothers and I have served and were among the fortunate who returned to our our homes unscathed, but we had then become close friends with many who didn't. Yes, I remember them and their parents, brothers and sisters who also served. Yes, in a very small way I'm glad I can again honor them with the sounding of TAPS in rememberance.

3. dkrice

dkrice Pianissimo User

May 20, 2011
    Thank you, Ed, for your service!

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Sydney's local storms were big enough to stop a train this week.

[​IMG]

5. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Small tree, huh, Ted?:-o

We refer to torrentials as "Frog Stranglers" in some of the circles I'm in.......:oops:

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Never saw a frog sitting on a lily pad during a storm but don't think they are stupid either and would leap to shelter. Well, too I wasn't stupid enough to be standing around a lily pond in a storm so I really can't confirm the frog even being any where near the pond. That's not to say that in pleasant weather I didn't go to the pond to do some frog gigging as to later disect in biology class. Thankfully then I hadn't yet developed a taste for frog legs as that pond was not what I'd deem a source for any healthful food. The frog legs I eat are domestically raised ( at least I hope so) and have more meat on them.

The storms here continued off and on through yesterday but contained a lot less rain, mostly just high winds causing more breaking of tree branches and commercial signage in the area. Some recently planted decor trees have been uprooted. When I went for mail this morning the grass was wet and now the sun is shining, although scattered showers are predicted later today. The farmers here are not complaining, even the corn growers where severe winds can cause as much damage as drought.

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Not too shabby Buck - not sure I support this blokes idea of OH&S though.