Gig frustrations

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Haste2, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    I'm one of those who likes to vent on message boards in addition to real life...

It seems that I can't play in any gigs lately. After 5 or 6 invitations over the past year (nothing to brag about) conflicts just keep getting in the way. All of them except one were due to conflicts.

I signed up for the Rafael Mendez Brass Institute (a week long brass seminar thingie in mid-July) and a musical (Crazy for You). But suddenly, the "Crazy for You" dates change, and there's a conflict between the two. So, I had to drop that musical for the RMBI.

Yesterday, I get an e-mail about doing another show (Chicago), which pays $600 across 12 performances (not very much each performance, but to get $600 in one month for a non-professional.... pretty good). But, of course, RMBI has created a conflict.... again. But I just can't pass this opportunity up.

But it turns out I might not even be able to get a refund for the dorms/tuition (amounting to about $500)! However.... I called RMBI and they say "they're not sure" if I can get a refund due to...changing policies, and the guy in charge is out of the country. So, I call the lady in charge of my Chicago gig, and she tells me she must find out by Monday at noon, or else another trumpet player (who really wants to do it, of course) will take my spot. So, I called the lady in charge of the RMBI again, and she says she'll do her best to pass the info onto me about possible refunds by Monday. She was very kind and helpful. So, here I am, having to wait the WHOLE weekend wondering if I'll be able to get even a partial refund.

If I don't get any RMBI refund, I figure I'll just go to the RMBI. If I get even half the money back, I'll do the gig instead. To add to the stress, after work Monday I have to scramble in order to get to an important job interview. AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! (okay, there was my vent)

Well, I guess I still have one gig, playing in a brass quintet for a fundraiser event.... yay, I can't wait for that. No, I'm not as sulky IRL as I appear online. =p

2. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Isn't it good to be alive or what? :D

Life is full of of this kind of moments, they sometimes yield unexpected good things; cheer up and step back for a minute. Other humans in this world who are the same age as you have to worry about depression, addiction, abuse or just how to get to the nearest potable water. Life is good.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I would suggest you stick with the RMBI, because the chance to learn new, good things trumps the experience of playing a musical with a bunch of $50.00/night musicians. Consider the RMBI as an investment that should, in the long run, result in many more gigs--plus, it should be a lot of fun as well.

4. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    Haha, if I didn't also have the interview I was so nervous about, I probably wouldn't have even needed to vent. =P And, yes, life is good no matter how this turns out!

So, it turns out I'll be getting the full refund (sooner than I thought), so I'll be doing the "Chicago" shows!

And, good point, Vulgano. You're almost certainly right about more improvement in the long run. It certainly wouldn't have been a BAD thing to have had my refund request rejected. But I have a long list of reasons why I chose the musical instead.... money is only part of the equation.

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    now that you vented -- and everything turned out SWELL SO FAR -- I can post -- and say "that is good" ----YOU see, I held of posting the other day -- because, I would have told you "everything will work out SWELL" -- and having too many gigs and conflicts, is actually a good thing to have.. NONETHELESS, if I posted the other day ---- TODAY, I would have had to say -- I TOLD YOU SO -- but since I didnt' post -- I can just submit -----I am glad everything worked out so good for you -- play and be happy!!!!!!!!!

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    When I have this conflict of performing a gig date it usually conflicts with caring for my in-patient admissions at the hospital. In this situation, I put then all these patients on a versed drip, intubate them, place them on a ventilator, then leave them suspended in a medically induced coma until I get back from the gig.

Problem Solved.

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA

I hope you are letting them listen to music during that time --- music therapy!!!!!!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio

I play my CD for them... how did you think I induced them into a coma!!

Dupac likes this.
  9. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Way to go. My favorite kind of patient...

10. Pete Anderson

Pete Anderson Pianissimo User

Feb 27, 2008
    I had almost the same exact experience happen a few years ago. I signed up for a festival thing over the summer. A month or so before, I get a call to play some musical for a pretty good chunk of change (a good chunk of change to me, that is... I think it was more than $50/service but not by much). I called somebody and they basically told me exactly what Vulgano said. There will be more gigs, and you will grow much more as a player if you do the seminar.

They were right. I learned a ton, grew as a player, and most importantly made really good connections with other serious musicians from around the country who I still keep in touch with. It was great to see where everybody else was at, who was doing what, and be motivated by the Northwestern kids who were in the practice rooms every night when everyone else was out drinking.

On the other hand, I never got another call from the musical people (this was the first and last time that group contacted me - I guess the guy they ended up getting must have done a good job), but if I could do it again I'd still make the same choice. Everybody's situation is different, though.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012