gigs in buffalo area

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Clarkvinmazz, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    Hello all, I know this is mostly a forum about actual trumpets and whatnot, and i
    I don't think it a against the rules, so I'm just gonna go for it. I know a lot of you are in the buffalo area, so I might as well. My name is Clark, I'm a junior in high school, I'm first trumpet I'm my youth orchestra, (gbyo) and I'm simply looking for gigs. If anyone has any place or people to contact looking for trumpet players, I'd strongly apreciate it. I'm not going to be cocky, but I cqn say that I'm a good player, I'm proficient in most areas, I'm a good worker and I dont mess around. So anyone that can help me, I would appreciate a pm. I'm striving to save up for a piccolo trumpet and eventually a D/Eb Thanks!

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You need lessons with this guy if you are really serious:Alex Jokipii

He is THE PLUGGED IN ONE in Buffalo.

Church services will get you experience but most likely little money. Busking at Niagra Falls would also be an opportunity, you will have to play quite loudly however.......

3. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    I have been taking lessons with Alex for three years now

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Check out post boards at music stores. That is how I connected with groups when I started playing professionally. Once you get of legal age, do consider joining the American Federation of Musicians and be an active member of your local chapter. They have scored me some of the best gigs I ever played.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I earned my money first though church gigs (weddings, services) and things my trumpet teacher took me along to. I would talk to Mr. Jokipii and ask the same question. Does he have other students that he normally takes along? If yes, what can they do that you can't?

6. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    see I would do that it since he has the job in the BPO and fredonia, he doesn't really gig anywhere else. That's why I'm teaching out on here, since I know the people here are helpful and I thought they could aid me in the arduous process of becoming a professional musician.

7. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Don't stick to just classical music. Go get lessons from whatever local guys are around. If you want to work regularly as a trumpet player, versatility is the most important thing.
    You also aren't that far from Toronto, where there are a ton of amazing players who could give you a lesson.