Gigs

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bear, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Ladies and Gents,
    Where might a newly graduated college man look for paying playing gigs? Thank you for your time.

The Bear

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    What kind of gigs are you looking for?

In my experience, gigs come and go based more on who you know rather than how well you play, so you have to get some sort of exposure somewhere. Make some calls, volunteer to sub in for rehearsals, get to know people in the local scene - go out and hear live bands and strike up conversations with the players after the show. Talk shop and let them know that you are available to sub or rehearse or whatever.

Initially, take every playing opportunity that comes down the pike. After a while when you have an established network, the playing opportunities will come much more frequently, or at least that has been my experience in the past.

You may have to do some low pay/no pay gigs at first, but if it helps to build your network, then it shouldn't be too long before the Benjamins start coming your way.

3. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Thxs TrickG,
    I'm just lookin' for anything right now. I'm in Lubbock... the armpit of Texas. There isn't really a lot of "exposure" going on around here. Anything else? Thxs.

Tim

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Yeah. MOVE. And I'm only half kidding. If you want to gig, you have to go where the gigs are. I have never really cared for the area where I live except for one thing: good gigs and good musicians are plentiful out here in the Baltimore/DC area - so much so that even I can and do gig on a regular basis, and I'm a hack compared to the dozens and dozens of excellent trumpet playes that live and work out here.

How important to you is getting payed for your efforts? If you can stand to not be payed much (if at all) for the sake of playing, I have always said that finding a church with a good organ and organist is a great way to get involved in gigging church gigs - just volunteer to play whatever they will take - hymn descants, special music for prelude and postlude, whatever. That kind of playing usually leads to playing for weddings and special services such as Christmas, Easter, and other special services where the church is willing to pay to get good musicians for special music.

5. sdhinote

sdhinote Pianissimo User

Feb 3, 2006
    Palm Desert
    Patrick is right on the money about having to pay dues to get gigs. It doesn't matter where you live.

Are you out of North Texas State? Just wondering. The guys who I use to run with when I was teaching in San Angelo (if Lubbock is the armpit, San Angelo is the toe jam) who were out of there always seemed to have some gig going.

While I was there I hooked up with a few Tex Mex bands. Good learning experience about having to improvise in a style you may be uncomfortable with.

The connections I had in L.A. helped me get several commercial gigs in Dallas through Don Thomas.

A major part of getting gigs is who you know. So start making friends with the guys who are working. Invite them over to your place to jam, etc. and eventually work will come around.

6. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    :D yea bear, ya gotta network.
    listing to them dudes and put yourself out there.

7. Spleeyah!

Spleeyah! Pianissimo User

Apr 6, 2005

BEAR!!:D I may not know where all the big gigs are, but I can sure tell ya where they're NOT.....Stillwater, Oklahoma! haha! They're MIGHT be stuff in OKC, but probably not much. but hey, i might be in Lubbock in a few weekends...wanna go shootin' again?

8. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    hey brad,
    Yeah man, we can go to the range anytime you so desire.

Clarence,
    I know bud, I know... grrr

Sdhinote,
    "It's in who ya know" huh? .... grrr... I don't know a lot of folxs, but I'll try your suggestions. Thxs sir.

TrickG,
    I do have a church gig I do, a rock band I play with, and a few things related to school (jazz, wind ensemble/orch, quintet, etc)... but I want this to be my career. I will definitely be moving upon graduation... just don't know where. I've thought about grad school but again, I don't know where...

Thanks for all y'all's suggestions.

Tim

9. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    There is some great advice on this thread already listed, but it really does depend a lot on where you live and how much work you can get. The top players in the area where I live better have a very good job outside of music performance because you can't make it here just playing.

The sad truth is that there are several places you can go and make a good living if you are a good players, and other places where playing will not pay the bills even if you are the best player on Earth.

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Bear, from what you are describing, in light of what you have said about making it a career, assuming that your health doesn't preclude this as an option, you might consider the DC area military bands.