Gigs

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by dylan1, Feb 10, 2014.

1. dylan1

dylan1 Pianissimo User

Oct 10, 2011
    What's the best way to find gigs?

2. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Depends on what kind of gig you are searching for.. if you tell us more, we might be able to be more helpful.

3. dylan1

dylan1 Pianissimo User

Oct 10, 2011
    I'm looking for all types of gigs. Just to start playing for people and getting my name out there. I'm a trumpet player who made the Florida Allstate band and I want to diversify my playing.

4. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    Play it, and they will come.

5. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Join ensembles. Look for open mic nights and jam sessions. Take lessons from a well connected local. Read postings on music store bulletin boards. Go on Craigslist. Use your imagination.

6. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    +1. For me it has always been something I gradually built up. Get to know as many musicians as you can and find ways to let them hear you play. You start getting hired here and there, then it starts snowballing.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    When I came to this home town of my wife's in 2009 only a few knew me from my summer visits for a week or so the last 47 years, and none then knew I could play brass instruments ... I guess I didn't know I could again until 2006 when my first comeback began and due to health and dental issues I've had 2 lapses since, but again still picked up and practiced until now when I sound TAPs, play in area churches, and produce my own computer CDs that I distribute to relatives and local friends. Now I'm connected with a local group called the Cleffers albeit we are on winter vacation but have performed at the senior center. I'm also presently tutoring a high school Freshman that wasn't accepted for high school band because no uniform would fit him, and he's acquired a Platinum edition of Arban's just like my own, but I have arranged that he'll play in the high school concert band. In the break, I minimize demonstration and we do duets of segments of etudes from Arban's in no particular sequence. Now next Friday a quintet from the core of the Cleffers will perform for a wedding, the processional, recessional, one hymn and ten mixed songs for a short reception immediately following the service. The take for less than 1 1/2 hours is $80/hr per player or $120.00 take home. Who knows, we may play longer. The only Criteria for being a player in the Cleffers is age 50 plus.

You may have caught some ideas from what I've said, but open mike and freebies doing wallpaper (background music) at public events helps make the contacts.

8. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Teach lessons. As a high schooler, that's the most realistic and beneficial place to start.

9. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Sitting in on rock and/our blues jam sessions should get a few offers of gigs if you make the right noises. You need to be comfortable playing along without any charts. Being able to noodle around blues scales in keys that suit guitar players is essential. You won't make much or any money, but it's great fun and one gig will lead to the next.

10. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    This is similar to what I did when I started my comback 5 years ago.

I went to a number of open jam sessions, where I found a few like-minded musicians and started a jazz trio (trumpet, piano, bass).

I got a bunch of business cards printed up, and gave them out wherever I went.

Our band plays it share of gigs for tips, especially at farmers markets and fairs. But we would also hand out a ton of business cards, and have picked up a lot of paid gigs at these events.

Call around to restaurants and taverns that have live music. Call around to nursing homes and senior centers.

Mike