Gigs

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by dylan1, Feb 10, 2014.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Start looking for them.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ahhh, I saw this after my initial reply. This is what I mean. This is what you need to do at a minimum. But you also need to market and put on a major PR blitz with those individuals managing the venues you desire. Make them realize that you will bring income in for them. Gigs will then happen.

3. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    you don't find gigs... the gigs find you!

4. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    +1 It's called networking. It sounds like you are a high school student, you may have chops and technique, but do you know styles? Swing, micky, polka, mariachi, latin, "legit", funk, etc. Find a big band of "old guys" and play 4th trumpet and soak up the style. Learn to solo in the appropriate style, nobody wants to hear Don Cherry on In the Mood (well, maybe I'd like to). Listen to recordings and utubes and copycat what you hear.

Study with somebody who is at the top of the local food chain. If you do well you'll likely get recommended. Nothing better than being the young pup on fourth in a band full of great players.

5. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    +1 It's called networking. It sounds like you are a high school student, you may have chops and technique, but do you know styles? Swing, micky, polka, mariachi, latin, "legit", funk, etc. Find a "kicks" band of old guys and play 4th trumpet, soak up the style. Learn to solo in the appropriate style, nobody wants to hear Don Cherry on In the Mood (well, maybe I'd like to). Listen to recordings and utubes and copycat what you hear.

Study with somebody who is at the top of the local food chain. If you do well you'll likely get recommended. Nothing better than being the young pup on fourth in a band full of great players.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I what to be on what you're on. If it's fairy dust, send some my way.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Also, join your local American Federation of Musicians Union. I got enough gigs from the Union to pay my membership (and the fabulous instrument/equipment insurance program) many times over!!!!

8. Shadrack

Shadrack New Friend

Jan 5, 2013
    NYC area
    For a while, I was the "go to" person as a back up for some established bands. Location also matters as there are probably more opportunities in larger cities. If you're close to the big cities in Florida, consider contacting some Latin bands. Cutting your teeth with Latin bands will really enhance your repertoire as a player especially if given the opportunity for improvisation. Great advice in the forum especially gmonady's suggestion of a PR Blitz. Ed Kennedy's "young pup" suggestion is how I got my first gig.

I am not necessarily a fan of craigslist in some locations, but in NYC, it is somewhat accepted as a resource to find venues and bands. Verify and research the source of any ad on craigs.

9. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Something it took me too long to understand - people can't date/hire/invite (fill in the blank) you if they don't know you're out there to begin with.

10. dylan1

dylan1 Pianissimo User

Oct 10, 2011
    How would you get your name out there