Gigs

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by dylan1, Feb 10, 2014.

1. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    You might want to check out this thread also. I don't know you or your ability level, but you want to make the most of anything that comes your way....

http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f133/gig-etiquette-58137.html

It would be a shame to sabotage further work because one didn't act appropriately once a gig was procured.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Go to the clubs. Walk in. Sit at the bar. Order a drink or a meal. Then ask to speak to the manager or booking agent. Talk pleasantly and let them know why you like their establishment, and then specifics about the club, like your bar keep makes a fabulous gin and tonic. Then you state you are with the "XYZ" band. Open a folder with your marketing kit inside. Identify the pictures of you band mates, clean cut, and dressed in suits. Then note the Demo CD, neatly tucked into the pocket of your press kit.

If your want to rob a bank, you need to go to the bank to get the money. If you want them to know you really mean action, carry some heat.
    If your want a club gig, you need to go to the club to get the booking. If you want them to know you really mean action, carry some press kits.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    But this mostly applies to after you get your foot in the door. The OP is trying to find the way to the door.

4. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    What did I just write?

5. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Gmonady, I interpreted the OP as saying that he was looking for an opportunity to play in public for money. I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that he had no affiliations, nobody that he was currently rehearsing with. Therefore he was looking, by my interpretation, for fill-in work until somebody liked him enough to offer a permanent (ha-ha-ha-ha) position. Therefore he would not at this point have a PR packet.

However, I was wrong once, I guess it could happen again.... ;-)