Girl Trumpet Players

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetChicka1, Jan 9, 2007.

1. TrumpetChicka1

TrumpetChicka1 New Friend

Dec 27, 2006
    Littleton
    Hey ever since I started playing the trumpet I have always been pretty good, but it seems like the guys have an easier time with high notes then me. Does anyone have any tips.

2. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Rest easy; we all struggle with "High Notes" it's not a girl or a boy thing!

I know pleanty of women that can play in ranges that I only dream about.

I'll give you the advice that was given to me by a women; my teacher by the way!

Start by playing scales and work your way up there. I take a C Major scale and walk right up it low C to middle C. Then I continue on up to High C and then take half steps over that to the extent of my high range wich is the D over High C for now.

To play in the upper register you need air moving very fast! I don't use air well; and I know that so I'm sure this is a limiting factor for me.

I continue to work on my range but I don't let it get to me too much. There are a fair amount of notes from Pedal "C" to D over high "C" which is my range; so for me my range works for 98% of anything that I would have an occasion to play.

Do some searches on this board for range and you'll see great comments from our board pros about this very subject.

Above all keep reaching! :-)

3. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    When I was younger I took a lesson with a famous teacher. He told me that I was holding the trumpet wrong and further said, "The trumpet is a masculine instrument, hold it like a man"

That line stuck with me for a long time and influenced my thinking for a long time.

He was so wrong!!

4. TrumpetChicka1

TrumpetChicka1 New Friend

Dec 27, 2006
    Littleton
    Thanks for the help :cool:

5. FreshBrewed

FreshBrewed Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Houston, TX
    You and me both!

6. FreshBrewed

FreshBrewed Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Sorry to get a bit off subject, but I will be taking lessons from a woman this Spring at a community college. Does anyone know Kristi Daley?

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I guess the first step is to stop calling yourself a girl! Play like a real woman!
    In german the trumpet ist called "die Trompete" and in french "la trompette" which is feminine gender for all of you masculine types. (I'd rather pucker up with a female trumpet anyway!)
    A good teacher is the first step to better range! Other than that there are a kazillion posts here about breathing skills, mouthpieces, embouchure and instruments to make the high range easier. Check them out - it will probably take you a couple of weeks though. This is a VERY BIG ISSUE here!
    Most of the time, your range gets better when you improve your breathing. A big breath is key! You can get help from your band or choir teacher on this to get started.

8. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Hey there Trumpetchicka. Being a girl will not hinder you in any way from playing your instrument well. Strong air support and a strong, stable embouchure (strong mouth corners) are the key.

A side note: I believe that men are at a slight physical advantage in two categories - lung capacity (in most cases, not all) and upper body strength. The latter is just a fact. My biceps/shoulders burn most of the time from holding up my instrument and I have knots in between my shoulder blades constantly. Like I said, these are slight, minor disadvantages and most times men have the same aches and pains as they age.

Women are at a slight advantage in one category and not necessarily in all cases: we are extremely sensitive. Jim Thompson told me many years ago that "WE" (pointing to himself and meaning collectively MEN) work for years to acquire what "I" (meaning WOMEN) possess instinctively and naturally - sensitivity. When channeled correctly it translates into sensitive musicianship. There are obviously acceptions in any case.

So, you see T'Chicka, we all have our challenges and our natural gifts. It seems to balance out in the end.

9. bugle75

bugle75 New Friend

Jan 4, 2007
    ı agree with you trumpetchicka..in the begining of playing trumpet,ı was always crying and crying about high notes..ı was practising everytime but ı was'nt get them..one day [what a big chance) ı met max sommerhalder he said to me..''trumpet players like cars.if you are not have oil, you can'T go anyway''he was right.but ı still have air problem..ı am reading a book.it name is ''the nonsense trumpet from a_z'' by clint pops M Laughin...he says that'' we must use cold air when playing high notes..''ı'm trying .sometimes ı catch..maybe this book help you??best wishes...;-)

10. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    Hmmmm........in every section I've played in, we've always had just plain old B flat trumpet players.....never knew there were Girl Trumpet Players & Boy Trumpet Players. Let what comes out the bell do the talking, can't imagine me having a physical advantage over say Alex. I gotta believe practice & application will level any field you encounter.......chuck (aka, boy trumpet player) :cool: