Girl Trumpet Players

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetChicka1, Jan 9, 2007.

1. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
  2. Siegtrmpt

Siegtrmpt Mezzo Piano User

Nov 21, 2005
    Virginia
    And we all know Rog likes female trumpet players!

3. tromj

tromj Piano User

Jun 4, 2005
    Teaneck, NJ
    It's true about girl trumpet players and boy trumpet players having different ranges. For instance, I can't play nearly as high as Pam Fleming, Laurie Frink, Barbara Butler, Liesl Whitaker, Ingrid Jenson, Jeanne Pocius..........

4. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Funny Bill... I hate having old friends on this forum... they know all your old, dark secrets...

I have always found female trumpet players to be a bit more feisty, down to earth and just simply more fun to hang with... then lets say... a female flutist.

... and Bill, your one world class clarinetist is an exception ....

"this one time at band camp..." LOL

5. dlewis

dlewis Piano User

Nov 22, 2006
    RANDALLSTOWN MARYLAND
    My trumpet teacher 30 some years ago was a female Gail huchens with the Baltomore symphony orchestra

6. hornguy

hornguy New Friend

Dec 30, 2006
    If you think range is a strength issue, then you are at a disadvantage. Range is a technique issue.

I got to attend Clark Terry's 80th birthday a few years back. At 80, sitting cross legged on a stool, he toyed with the High C to Double C octave and never showed any strain. Pure effortless technique.

7. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    My teacher was a "girl", Barbara Butler. Best trumpet teacher ever. Terrific player. "Girl" ain't got nothin to do with it. You go girl.

Michael McLaughlin

8. Bugler

Bugler Banned

Nice post, but one question: would you, as a woman marry an extremely sensitive male trumpeter? Hmmmmmm. :dontknow: BTW, just a question, not a proposal.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2007
  9. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    I loved Marcel Moyse description of trumpet players,"You are gangsters."
    Moyse had this great accent......sort of like Maurice......Chevalier.
    Wilmer

10. trumpetdiva1

trumpetdiva1 Piano User

Jun 6, 2004
    Albuquerque
    After many years of high note playing, I’m learning to emphasize the art of “sensitive musicianship.†I came to learn more about this sensitive playing through listening to my favorite jazz trumpet player of all time--Art Farmer. Yes, he was a male trumpet player with the most “lyrical†lines and with the nicest sound.

When I came to New York City, I was so impressed with the jazz cats that could play such beautiful, flowing jazz lines without the high notes. These guys really started to impress me with how much creativity that could be made from so few notes without the upper register. Yes, I like to listen to an occasional high note. Ingrid Jensen comes to mind.

Be patient with the upper register and continue to work on all other aspects of playing and strengthen them. Your musicianship is the sum of all aspects of playing. This is good news for those who worry about their range. Some players have the range without the sound behind it. Others have the range but do not know what to do with it.

I would offer advice on how to expand your register, but what works for one player isn’t what necessarily works for another. It is one of the hardest lessons in life, but patience is a virtue. Add one more note or half step at a time and you will get there.

Janell