Girls

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by T-Money, Jul 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T-Money

T-Money New Friend

Jun 21, 2014
    Why are there more males than females that play trumpet?

I can count on one hand of how many girls play trumpet in my band. My band director marched in DCI for 4 years and played trumpet:-), and she expects so much out of the girls in the trumpet section which is funny. Why is the trumpet so male dominated and will this ever change?

2. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    I think there was an exhaustive thread about this on TH recently.

3. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
  4. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Yes, a lot more females playing now. I always remember seeing Sue Bluck playing Trumpet in the Basement in Sydney in the '80s. Now she could play as good as any male, and on the lot better side of the most of the good ones. She played with Manteca in WA, then gave up - not sure why, but she still sings Jazz.

Nothing stopping girls IMO, but it would be good to have someone like Sue tell us why she gave up Pro trumpet.

Old news in a new thread, lots have been said before.

5. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    In years to come somebody will start a thread called "Boys" which will be filled with memories of players in their dotage.

--bumblebee

6. isuckattrumpet

isuckattrumpet Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2013
    God Bless America
    I think it has a lot to do with genders associated with different instruments. This is why you will see a lot more girls playing "feminine" instruments like flute, and more guys playing "masculine" instruments like the trumpet, trombone, tuba, etc. *Not that I agree with these stereotypes, but I think it definitely plays a role. Despite this, the best trumpet player in my age group in my state is a girl, one of the best tuba players in my age group in my state is also a girl, and I also know a female trombone player who is also probably one of the best in the state (I'm going by what honor bands, etc. that they have played in). I'm definitely seeing a change, but it's not huge. This summer I'm playing in a community band sort of thing and out of the 20+ trumpets, there are only two girls.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    There are 3 trumpetess's in the band I play, one is even a section leader. There have always been female trumpeters around and I don't know anyone who said girls can't play trumpet. I think many girls just don't want to. One could always ask the girls that don't play trumpet why they chose not to play trumpet and you might get a better idea. I have a niece that made The Mcdonalds All-American band a few years ago. She doesn't and won't play now, not even Christmas carols with family.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I just want to twist this idea a bit --- and ask why do Females have a balance beam in gymnastics? --- they are better at balance, with a lower center of gravity --- how does this compare to trumpet playing??? Physically I don't think it does as I can name a few women off the top of my head who can play better than most of you trumpeters on TM (Ingrid Jensen, Nicole Sasser, Linda Briceno) -- just to name a few -------------------------BUT perhaps it's all in the attitude of males, who like to be macho, loud, out front, and competitive ------------------just a thought -------------------------------- ROFL ROFL ROFL

9. jimc

jimc Mezzo Piano User

May 21, 2009
    Spokane, WA USA
    That testosterone is sure some weird stuff. It gives a fellow a rumbly low speaking voice, the lower the better, and yet a screechy high trumpet voice, the higher the better! :-)

The girls can, of course. But mostly, for some reason, they don't want to.

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    It's definitely a gender role stereotype thing IMO, and it has been changing some, but pretty slowly. These days there are more and more women playing instruments that are typically male dominated, but it's still far out of balance.

Part of it might also be an image thing. Take my sister for example. In high school she was a fine trumpet player, and in retrospect, a lot better than we realized at the time, but she put it away permanently when she went to college. Unlike me, who has never been able to put it down or stop for very long, she figured that her chosen career field wasn't going to be music related, and she didn't want to divert time and attention from that by continuing with music.

Flash forward nearly 20 years and she had a desire to become part of the music ministry at church, but rather than picking the trumpet back up, she wanted instead to play flute. My suggestion, of course, was for her to pick the trumpet back up - after all, she was good at it, and there would still be a fair amount of muscle memory associated with it. Oh heavens no, she told me - she didn't want anyone to see her getting all red-faced, and let's not even talk about what it would do to her makeup and lipstick! :shock: :roll:

My sister is a girlie-girl now, and there's just no place in her world for playing trumpet, so she took up flute, kinda - the learning curve on top of not having (or not making) the time to dig in and learn the instrument has put a temporary hold on any advancements she might have made with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.