Girls

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by T-Money, Jul 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Here's another thought. Ask a 5th grade girl whether you want to carry around a horn or a flute, clarinet, or oboe, which is the most trouble? I have a flute that could fit in the Docs baggy trousers for sure! ;-)

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Our swing band, the busiest and best paid in Detroit, has......um......TWO......girls!
    With our Facet Mutes "Brusio" mutes!
    [​IMG]

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I think that asking here is the wrong place. If your assumption is true, then there will be few ladies here to answer your question (and they would be the exception to the rule), and if the majority trumpeters had any idea how to get more ladies involved, it would already be done. Those of us that do know how to get more ladies involved are not telling.

I have always had more female than male students.

You may want to try asking the same question on some school forum where girls frequent. The chance of getting a qualified answer there is MUCH greater!

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I think that part of the reason more gals don't take up the trumpet and continue with it has a lot to do with the joke regarding their male counterparts:

Q: What do trumpet players use for birth control?
    A: Their personalities!

kingtrumpet likes this.
  5. MFaddicted

MFaddicted New Friend

May 8, 2014
    I think playing trumpet messes up most girl's lipstick. Violin, Piano, Singing etc....doesn't interfere with the girlie factor

6. Jolter

Jolter Piano User

Apr 1, 2009
    Sweden
    The way we as a society have been bringing up children for hundreds of years has been to impress in boys that they need to be fast, strong and competitive, to make a mark, to climb trees and play sports.

All the while, we encourage girls to be mild-mannered, careful and nurturing. We give them dolls because we think it's in their nature to look after others and set aside their own desires.

With these facts in mind, for they are facts, proven by sociological observations since the 1970s at least, let's ignore for a while the question of whether these differences are entirely cultural, or if we are only reinforcing differences given by Nature (or God). Let's also sidestep the question of whether we like this or not, and look at who are the role models for aspiring trumpeters?

We all know the trumpet is the loudest, angriest instrument, with all the Wow, tada and sizzle. It is an instrument for those who are not afraid to be heard. I've met meek trumpet players, preferring fourth chair where they are not constantly scrutinized, but that kind of trumpet player is not the one we see idolized every day here on TM and elsewhere. No, it's the Maynards and the Wyntons who are remembered and revered. (Who played second chair next to Herseth? I know I don't remember.) The divas, those with a high opinion of their own ability, who want to show the world how fast and high they can play, those are the famous trumpeters and the ideal trumpeters. They also happen to be mostly men.

Is it, then, any wonder that girls shy away from some the loudest instruments? The electric guitar, the trumpet, the trombone. Instead they choose the harp, piano, flute, recorder, strings (but not contrabass). Most adults do little to even out the balance by encouraging unusual choices, instead feeling good that their child is fulfilling their expectations.

So, I think this imbalance cannot be righted until we adults adjust our expectations of how girls and boys are supposed to act. My impression has been, at least around here, that parents are more aware of these issues, and some of them make a conscious effort to deal with it. I'm expecting to see more girls playing brass in a few years!

7. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
  8. MFaddicted

MFaddicted New Friend

May 8, 2014
    Ummmmm you left out the LIPSTICK factor!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.