Girls

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by T-Money, Jul 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    my mind is very active and I listen to the radio a lot also --- so maybe we can say it's radio-active ROFL ROFL ROFL ---- the only thing you people don't like about me is my jokes!!!! probably because you weren't quick enough to think of them first ROFL ROFL ROFL

2. FireandAir

FireandAir Pianissimo User

Aug 12, 2014
    Simple: brass and drums were military and hunting signaling devices back in the day, monopolized by soldiers -- mostly men. To this day, brass and drums are still associated with men for that reason. I don't think it honestly has a thing to do with lungs. There's too many really awesome women playing at too high a level. I really do think it's because of their long, long, long history as military and hunting devices. Even the modern symphony orchestra comes from the marriage of some duke's entertainment orchestra (string and reeds) with some other duke's military one (brass and timpani).

3. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Actually, brass instruments for long periods of time were privileges of princes and other potentates that were not easily granted. Trumpets in particular were royal privileges, so there were very few players.
    In addition, within brass, trumpets always were at the top of the hierarchy. That's why cavalry - as the noblest of arms - had trumpets, whereas infantry had bugles and, in some countries, artillery (as the youngest branch of the military) plain signalling horns.

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I don't think you can extrapolate to the past -- yeah, sure trumpets were for nobility and for signaling in warfare -- but certainly in most parts of the world for the past hundred years or so that has not been the case -- and to think that drums weren't part of a woman's sphere of interaction --- I don't know why so many men have complained about being hit over the head with a frying pan --- she was trying to DRUM INTO THE HEAD of her man, some intelligent responses, and proper thinking ROFL ROFL ROFL

5. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    If that's the case, then, very few of us great unwashed, should have one in our hands. :-P

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I believe the heart of the distribution lies within the band or music director when they first form bands in elementary school. The directors tend to push the clarinets and flutes onto the girls, and the trumpets and tubas onto the boys, and that everyone is were choices are made. So the sexism I believe is not in the player, but rather in the authority. The Man. Big Brother. Mr. Big.

7. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I do instrument fitings, and rental programs with many local elementary and middles schools....that is SO correct!!!!!

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    uhm -- clarinets and flutes are traditionally easier for a woman to hang onto --- at some point, you have notes with no fingers down (at least on the clarinet) -- now men, with bigger hands will have a more difficult time hanging on the instrument

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Trumpet case = 10+ pounds, clarinet case = 2 pounds and flute is less than that!

10. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    If there are no fingers on it, what difference does the size of the hands make? :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.