Giving a first lesson.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Patric_Bernard, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    I'm giving my first lesson to someone tommorow. I know that first I should listen to him play, and figure out whats wrong. But what exactly am I looking for? I know Tone should be a first, but then what. Attacks? Slurs? possibly Breathing first?

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    One of the best and quickest ways to check out a new student's strengths and weaknesses is to have them sight-read. All of our bad habits come out when we sight-read, so you can check for air issues, sound concept, intonation, etc.

For rhythm, have them play something relatively easy in 6/8, and something with dotted eighth and sixteenth notes.

Have fun teaching!

3. Patric_Bernard

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    Ok awesome... I'm having them bring some music they know pretty well. I marched with the kid for 2 years, so i know his abilities... which arn't many haha. Thanks for the responce

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    No real lessons yourself, and taking on a student. Hmm.

How will you know if they are doing something wrong when you are searching yourself?

The first lesson is ALWAYS looking for the basics or breathing and tone production. once you have decent playing HABITS the rest is just dedication.

5. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    I usually evaluate three things during the first lesson:

1) why has the student come to me? What do they expect to get out of studying with me? Is there a particular problem or set of problems that they are trying to address?

2) fundamentals, posture, breath, sound, range, facility, etc.

3) practice habits - standard warmup, play/rest guidelines, etc.

bigtiny

6. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    breathing, breathing and, oh, breathing. Make sure he works the basics and stays relaxed. I agree with Vulgano, sight reading can give you a lot of in sight into what a student naturally does right and wrong.

I always ask my teachers what they are looking for when I start a lesson, then I add that info to my mental notebook.

I don't want to start any wars or offend you Patric, but I have to side with Rowuk on this one... it is going to be difficult for you to give lessons if you have no teacher yourself... this isn't to say you shouldn't play with the kid and give him some pointers... I just think it is hard to give a proper lesson if you haven't experienced yourself.

7. Decentplayer

Decentplayer Mezzo Forte User

Jan 11, 2008
    USA
    I don't know if you should be giving lessons at this point. No offense, but if you have to ask what do I do>???????

8. Patric_Bernard

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    Everyone has to start somewhere. Thats like saying "You dont even know how to play trumpet, why should you try?"

9. uapiper

uapiper Pianissimo User

Apr 13, 2007
    Hamilton, Canada
    With no real training yourself, how will you look for and correct mistakes or technical issues with someone who is counting on you to guide them.

I think you will be creating bad habits with this kid that no one has corrected on you because you have only played for yourself. it's up to you but I don't think it would be fair for you to try to mold someone when nobody has had their hands on you before.

You are right about starting somewhere, everyone needs to. Take some lessons yourself so you can learn how to teach. If you may are an okay player but if you can't transfer that knowledge to a student efficiently and systematically, why is he paying you. You should have a concrete teaching method already, not fly as you go.

All responders have echoed these thoughts as well, so think about what we are saying and why we have said it. It is about a future trumpet player now and the chance to set him on the right path.

10. Firestas'1

Firestas'1 Piano User

Dec 21, 2006
    New Jersey
    Above all a teacher should be encouraging, remarks like this will not do well for his self esteem and confidence.
    What if he decides to join this forum (or already is a memeber without you knowing) and sees this?