giving negative feedback on ebay

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by entrancing1, Aug 17, 2011.

1. entrancing1

entrancing1 Mezzo Piano User

Feb 16, 2010
    Buffalo, NY
    Your opinions are wanted.....I received an Olds Recording cornet from an ebay seller that was shipped in its original case with a label slapped on a piece of cardboard and ziptied to the case. No box, no bubble wrap, no packaging at all. I gave the seller negative feedback based on him sending a $500.00 horn with no packaging. Of course seller wants the negative feedback retracted. He states that he has sold lots of instruments this way, never had a problem, and he insures them for the purchase price. The horn arrived undamaged but I still feel seller was cavalier about packaging, and if he tried to make an insurance claim the shipper would laugh at him given that there was no protective packaging at all. What do you think? is my negative feedback justified?

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Well, first of all, it's hard to imagine somebody sending a trumpet in it's case, without a BOX (w/o a box???:shock:), or any other packaging material. I wouldn't have believed somebody would do that. eBay is so full of interesting surprises, isn't it?:-P

You did the right thing. Can I give him some negative feedback, too?:lol:

Turtle

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I would have given a neutral feedback (I suppose you can still do that) or a positive with a low rating on the shipping, with an explanation of why. I would only give a negative feedback if the horn arrived damaged and the seller wouldn't make it right.

4. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I am surprised that any shipping company would accept it like that and allow for insurance. I wonder if he actually insured it for more hoping for a claim and a chance to profit. If it is OK however, it probably is best to shrug it off and move on.

Whenever I buy a horn I always give explicit packaging instructions to the seller. If you had done that and they were ignored then negative feedback would be appropriate IMO.

turtlejimmy likes this.
  5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

That's a great idea.:thumbsup:

Not everybody selling a trumpet knows the first thing about them, including what it takes to move them safely from on address to another. Still, you have to wonder about someone who would just close the case and slap a sticker on it. I mean, really ......

Turtle

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    The last horn I bought on eBay came with parts of a cardboard box wrapped around the case and taped in place, which is one small step better than the one bought by the OP. No damage, though, so I gave a positive feedback. I always attach a note to my PayPal payment asking to secure all loose items in the case and pack it well. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't, but I've not received a damaged horn yet. I just shipped a cornet to Sweden, and I'm a little worried about that one...

7. Steve Hollahan

Steve Hollahan Pianissimo User

May 31, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    The shipper/seller should never have shipped any horn that way. When shipping a horn, I have found most damage occurs when the horn is shipped loose in the case. I always encourage customers to ship horn w/o case. He deserves to have a negative rating. Sooner or later, a valuable vintage horn wilol be severly damaged, and returned to him. It has happened many times here at the store that I work. Last one was a Bach 50B bass trombone. Luckily the bell was repairable. And it was shipped by shipping dept. personnel who were familiar with shipping musical instruments. Steve Hollahan

8. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I have done that, given a neutral.

9. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    The sole occasion for me leaving negative feedback occurred when some hoople from whom I bought a gold-plated Buescher DID NOT secure the mouthpieces by wrapping them separately, thus allowing them to dance around in the case, denting the horn with dents that were not there in the selling pics. I'm easy, I'm no troublemaker and the idiot's obstinate refusal to pay for some admittedly minimal dent removal was what prompted me, then I really slaughtered the blockhead.

10. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I may have left neutral, but definitely not negative feedback.

If I paid for something and it was delivered to me as promised in the condition it was described, then what was negative about the experience?