giving negative feedback on ebay

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by entrancing1, Aug 17, 2011.

1. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan
    I'm curious what kind of instructions you give? Wrap the horn separately in bubble wrap?

2. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan
    I bought a King Master cornet very very cheaply that was in bad shape a while back (had dents, stuck slides etc). I was pretty surprised when it arrived in a relatively small thin cardboard box with just a big of wadded up paper around it. It was already damaged and didn't appear to have any new dents from the shipping, but still. Since then I always ask that bubble wrap be involved.

3. JediYoda

JediYoda Mezzo Piano User

Sep 25, 2010
    State of Confusion
    Quote Originally Posted by veery715 View Post
    Whenever I buy a horn I always give explicit packaging instructions to the seller.

The seller does not have to pack or ship the trumpet in the manner you request.
    Sure you may have just bought the horn, but as long as you receive the horn undamaged that is all you can expect!!

4. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    The best way to ship a horn is without a case, wrapped in bubble wrap, in a box packed with packing peanuts. Anderson plating has instructions in their web site, any other refurbish place I ever contacted had similar instructions. I once shipped a horn in the case, as the buyer wanted the case. I secured the horn inside the case wit bubble wrap in all the places where there could be movement; I wrapped the mouthpiece in bubble wrap and secured it. I placed the case with horn secured inside a box filled with bubble wrap. This really seems like common sense to me. However, it is correct that, by e-bay definition, no negative or neutral feedback is warranted if the horn is exactly as described upon arrival

5. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    I agree with Dale, damage would be cause for negative feedback, at a minimum, otherwise neutral feedback and comment in the space provided. Anyone should know a case is for carrying NOT for shipping!

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It is irresponsible to ship a horn in the case only. If you read the fine print about conditions of transport, you will know what I mean. Automatic conveyors can have drops up to 2 feet! Who would drop their horn in the case 2 feet?

I think the rating should be negative. Of course the standard procedure is always to get even - not improve service! Good luck.

7. sj3209

sj3209 Piano User

Nov 22, 2006
    Amador County, Calif.
    Was the horn misrepresented? Did the seller not respond to queries? Did the horn arrive damaged?

So you got the horn in the conditon you found acceptable?

Why are you giving a bad review? Did you not get the product you asked for at the price you wanted?

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

I still agree with this even after all the comments ..... Here's the reason. You, as the buyer, are the one going on the MOST FAITH, that is to say, putting a lot of money into a stranger's account with the HOPE that he or she actually has the instrument and isn't scamming you. You also are going on faith that the person is at least moderately intelligent and wouldn't ship a horn badly. If they damage the horn through carelessness, you are the one who will suffer and pay for it, at the very least, by wasting a lot of time getting your money back.

No matter whether or not the horn arrives damaged ..... Shipping in the case only or worse is stupid, irresponsible and careless.

Turtle

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    The seller/shipper got very lucky. I used to work for UPS (18 yrs) and saw my fair share of damaged goods, most beyond repair. Conveyor belts, rollers, slides, boxlines don't "care" about any particular package. They are simply a means to move packages. If a package pops open and the contents come out, adios amigos!! As far as leaving negative feedback, it seems the sellers on TM are the most sensitive to being dinged. As far as I'm concerned, the e-Bay rating system is almost worthless (leave me 5 stars or don't bid!!). My horn fell out of my hands one night at practice and rolled gently down 4 steps. Bent the bell!! Improper packaging/shipping should receive negative feedback regardless of miraculously arriving unscathed. If you don't know or are unsure how to do it properly, take it to a UPS store. Then they are on the hook!

10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    +1 for this post by TL, someone who knows the shipping world, firsthand.

Sometimes, people are just too lazy to find a box that fits and too cheap to let UPS do the packaging.

Hey, when they're asking $500 for that Ambassador (or $3,000 for that Committee) .... you'd think they could find a box.:dontknow:

Turtle