giving negative feedback on ebay

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by entrancing1, Aug 17, 2011.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Also, UPS will deny a claim if the package was not properly wrapped. A horn packaged as the OP mentioned is most definitely not properly packaged.

The King Of Queens - S04E03 - Mean Streak - YouTube

Fast forward to 18:00 and imagine thats your horn instead of light bulbs. Trust me. THIS HAPPENS ALL THE TIME AT ANY SHIPPING BUSINESS!!

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Also, UPS will deny a claim if the package was not properly wrapped. A horn packaged as the OP mentioned is most definitely not properly packaged.

The King Of Queens - S04E03 - Mean Streak - YouTube

Fast forward to 18:00 and imagine thats your horn instead of light bulbs. Trust me. THIS HAPPENS ALL THE TIME AT ANY SHIPPING BUSINESS!!

What is funny to me is that UPS does not (back in the day) pay claims on fluorescent bulbs!

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    And who are you to decide with 2 exclamation points what I can expect? My expectations belong to me and there is nothing you can do about it.

If the purchased item arrives undamaged there is NO issue. But should damage occur in transit because the seller ignores my instructions I can offer a copy of same to eBay/Paypal as evidence. It is my cash - it WILL arrive unscathed and the seller knows that. No such protection exists for the purchased item, so advising the seller about packaging cannot hurt. I have had sellers thank me for the instructions.

If purchasing a horn/case: Please wrap the horn with enough bubble wrap or foam peanuts INSIDE the case so it will not shift around in transit and incur damage from doing so. If there are items in addition to the horn (mouthpieces, lyre, whatever) please wrap them separately and place in the case such that they wil not be loose to move around - in a separate compartment if there is one - or place those individually wrapped items in the outside package.
    The case or bubble wrapped horn (if no case) should be placed in a larger box with enough room on all sides for peanuts or bubble wrap so the horn/case will not come into contact with the outside of the box should it be dropped. The ends of a non-cased horn or the horn case should be several inches from the ends of the container. When sealed the box should NOT rattle when shaken.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Mention was made that the package was sent insured. I don't know about the US, but insurance in Germany would not be paid out if the article was packed negligently.

I think that some have a pretty warped sense of what rating points mean. There also seems to be an awful lot of excuse making when it comes to "COMMON SENSE".

I think a negative is a heads up - not necessarily a slam. If some one ships instruments negligently, people buying from them should know. That does not happen if we only dish out positives - even for ignorance.

5. JediYoda

JediYoda Mezzo Piano User

Sep 25, 2010
    State of Confusion
    -- usually I have found that it is easiest when shipping a trumpet with a case...it is best to make sure everything in the case including mouthpieces are in bubble wrap and secure so the cannot move. The I will also secure the trumpet so that it cannot move in any manner during shipping! Finally I usually use a strong tape to tape the case closed, usually 2 wraps around the locking mechanism and then I print out the address and tape it to the case and ship the trumpet. Did I mention I also make sure the cases handle does not move. I have never had an complaint in all the years I have been buying and selling trumpets!!

So we agree that as long as the instrument arrives undamaged that is the bottom line!!

Shalom!!

6. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

I agree that it should have been packed better but you could have just told the seller that they got real lucky because their package wasn't packed properly. How can one leave a glaring negative for someone when the item arrived on time and in the described condition? The star section is where you could have noted something less than perfect but even then "The horn arrived undamaged". If the horn and the deal were fine it was irresponsibleto leave negative feedback. Yours is in the class of the negatives I see when someone buys something and leaves negative feedback 3 days later. "I didn't get it yet". It is next to meaningless.

If this seller pursues this eBay will give him a retraction. Good sellers work hard to make their customers satisfied. It sounds like this one deserves better.

7. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    +1 ....BTW I am not a Seller.

I only buy on Ebay, but that is what the Comments box is for, and I read the comments before I purchase off a seller. I do look at the star rating and the number of transactions. Offering a shipping option and some advice is wise - that is the Communication side as well as tracking No. advice etc. If the goods arrive within a reasonable time and with no damage...there is no beef.