Global Warming My #@$!

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by gzent, May 2, 2005.

1. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
  2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    LOL! Welcome to my world, Greg. We had snow on three different days last week. In fact, since I moved to Alberta in '82, we have had snow in each of every one of the 12 months of the year! I remember one year when a workmate was able to cross-country ski in the park across from his house in AUGUST. Sure played hell with the gardens.... we got home from the coast two weeks later (where we'd been vacationing) to find the flowers deader'n doornails.

Maybe it shouldn't not have been called "global warming" but rather "locally unsettling"!!!!

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Yup!

Imagine my surprise driving through flipping snow to get to a MAY 1st Youth Symphony concert!

Too funny...

ML

4. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    AH! But we got lucky this year, Greg -- summer fell on a Saturday!!

...can't believe it's May 2 and I woke to find snow on my car.

and people don't understand why I want to move to Arizona....

5. TotalEclipse

TotalEclipse Piano User

Mar 2, 2005
    Brisbane in OZ
    Snow, what's that?? :dontknow:
    Don't get much of that down here. I'm 30 and still have not seen snow.
    I think this winter we got down to +2 degree C maybe once or twice.
    As I am moving to London soon this might all change........now where do you buy warm clothes from???

6. Yoder

Yoder Piano User

Aug 2, 2004
    Digital Domain
    To see the potential affects of Global Warming you have to look at the big picture. One indicator is the decrease in both number and size of the glaciers in Montana. You will not see it happen overnight. The feds have a 300 page document about Global Warming that I browsed a few months ago. I hate the cold, I am for Global Warming.

They say Colorado will become more like North Carolina in temperature. I do know that 15 years ago I could go skiing just outside of town. I haven't been able to do it in the last ten years due to conditions.

7. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    I have looked at the 'big picture' and have read a bunch of different papers covering this topic. Its another unproven crisis that the left loves to use as an indictment of Western society. One would be wise to consider that respected 'scientists' and enviromentalists predicted in the early 70's:

- We were headed for another ice age
    - Drinking water would be more expensive than gasoline by 2010
    - The US would exhaust its coal reserves by the year 2000
    - The US agriculture industry would not be able meet the demand of the booming population (FACT: less land is being farmed today than since the 50's, FACT: more trees are growing in MN today than in the last 200 years)

You have to be careful about predictions because there is always someone, usually a conservative, who will point out the futility of believing them.

Greg

8. Yoder

Yoder Piano User

Aug 2, 2004
    Digital Domain
    Well yea, if you are reading something from 1970's. Today, the major source of pollution is more of an indictment against third world countries. And, the problem facing us today is not so much pollution as it is over-population--but hey, the US will let them in!

Various computer models, and physical evidence seems to support the Global Warming affect. But, is it unique to the history of the planet or a man-made phenomenon?

9. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
  10. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    Global warming DOES happen.

But so does Global COOLING.

The Earth goes through cycles where the average teperatures increase or decrease over time. The shift of its axis alone will generate significant changes in climate. Emissions from volcanic eruptions, methane from animal waste and gas, shifts in plate tectonics, changes in atmoshperic patterns due to solar flares and other external inputs, and on and on -- all these things affect the global climate.

For man to assume that he is responsible for the change in climate on this planet is remarkably egotistical.

In fact, recent studies by scientists show that we may be doing too much to clean the air up! Apparently, cleaner air is allowing more sunlight through the atmosphere which reaches the ground and heats it better than in the past, cuasing a rise in the overal temperature of the Earth (one wonders if this study considers surface albedo and the contrasted effects of having that energy be stored as heat in the atmoshpere instead).

So we pollute the air and the Earth heats up, we clean the air and the earth heats up? No, it would seem man is not largely responsible for changes in the planet's temperature.

Anyway...maybe we should just follow Greg's link and let that handle the argument for us....