Globalization

Discussion in 'EC Downloading' started by CGUM, Nov 15, 2005.

1. CGUM

CGUM Pianissimo User

Aug 5, 2005
    Ciao Ed and company,

I came across an interesting article on Tony Plog's website.

http://www.anthonyplog.com/works.html

Pretty interesting article, so I thought I would throw it out there and see what everyone's thoughts were.

awaiting(with trepidation) the first snow fall,
    CG

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Wow! Quite an article. I kept waiting to see what HIS conclusions were; glad he finally had some. Now I'll have to go back and "cut it into smaller pieces and chew it more slowly before swallowing".

3. ecarroll

ecarroll Artist in Residence Staff Member

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    Charlie,

Thanks for the link to Tony's very interesting paper.

First and foremost, his comment that individual musicians must be much more responsible for their careers than ever before is, in my opinion, spot on. It's a brave new world out there and I look forward to reading how many of you are willing to face it (and what you're doing about it).

I'd rather not lead this discussion; prefering to watch here for a bit before adding my voice. . .

Looking forward :-) ,
    EC

4. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Wow... what a great article. Mr. Plog is right on the money in so many aspects! I look forward to bringing it with me on the flight to England to digest more of it.

Coming from a totally free-lanced (i.e. BROKE and without work) I'm finding not so difficult to face the future trends. My new CD is entirely self-produced and will be released independently. You probably have read some of my posts online about if I should seek a label or not. I wanted greater rights on the digital side and other than facing my upfront costs I find it much easier this way to promote this venture.

Let's face it, instrumental music is a HARD sell to the commercial public.

"Hmm, a jazz duo album of trumpet/piano? ....who plays drums on the disc (one of the actual replies I received)"

Clark Terry was a firm believer in this phrase which I have adopted in this LONG process: "There's an ass for every seat." I'm 100% sure my venture will be succesful both commercially and musically. It's a great deal easier to "sell" a duo to a venue as the overhead is much lower and I can still pay my collaborator a great fee. Colleges and festivals can't always afford big fees and I feel I know have cut my "artist" fee in half while still being able to make a reasonable fee.

I am sure that once the disc is fully done and printed (EC has a copy of the "almost" master and I'm looking forward to hearing his thoughts on it) I plan to make a "part-time job" as manager/booking agent/promoter/shameless plug man. The harsh reality in today's society is that people will just not come to your performances unless you are making them notice you as well as part of the experience. Free clinics/school visits/saturation of the local media and internet will always help. You can get the message out so much easier than even 5 years ago due to the WWW explosion.

I feel that as an artist I bring joy as well as passion to my audience members in a way that they might not have been given in the past. Perhaps that will bring me over the top to getting more venues.

Will I be as popular as Botti, Wynton, et al? No way. I can't compete with them and their marketing machines. I'm happy playing a few concerts every month for attentive audiences and presenting world class improvisations to them. I won't be a millionaire for sure but my days of playing $25 jazz gigs are probably over.

Sorry for my ramblings.... and yes, I'm available for concerts ;) hahah
    -T

PS: If you're thinking about beginning to formulate a career as a solo artist I can't recommend "Making Music in Looking Glass Land" enough! It's a great book full of priceless information and while it's geared towards a classical musician it's easily applicable to jazz artists as well.

5. Philippe

Philippe New Friend

Oct 17, 2005
    Hi everyone,
    This article is really spot on in addressing the importance of being an entrepeneur. Trumpeters that were in university in the early to mid 90's and before are in a totally different generation than those that entered in the new millenium, because many of the older guys have been programmed to tink that as long as they sound good, people will come. (This still goes on depending on who the teacher is, so beware for your own well being). I can use almost any orchestra as a prime example of this because they all have some empty seats except for maybe the NY Met. I can name several great players that i know personally that don't believe in the idea of self marketing. They would fall under the dinosaur category. I hope musicians will read this article and then look in the mirror and say, " what did i do today that will convince one or more people more come to my next concert?"
    Video conferencing has been going on for years for large corporate events, Space shuttle anyone? The technology exhists and musicians are dismally behind the times in this respect. Imagine listening/watching and even playing in a masterclass via live data streem. Freiburg to Montreal ? It could happen. McGill , err, The Schullic school of music at McGill university has such technology and it has already a broadcasted live concert video feed to LA from Montreal.
    We as university students (most likely) must take more initiative in pushing for positive evolution of our future. I could keep going....chiao
    Philippe
    trumpet: water hose with funnel on the end....
    mouthpiece: opened siphon valve.....
    valve oil: rouse
    favourite note: a loud cack in the wrong place of a different piece

6. trjeam

trjeam Pianissimo User

Dec 5, 2003
    Maryland
    What an excellent article. I am 19 year old musician who was raised in this "globalized world". I grew up reading different peoples experiences from around the world through the internet. So from being able to learn from so many different people, I guess you could say that I am a product of this globalized world. I've learned an ample amount of information despite my youth.

So what I'm trying to say is that what Mr. Plog wrote to me isn't really a revelation rather just a confirmation. To me what he wrote about is what it's suppose to be like.. The things that he wrote about to me are just natural.

I'm not sure about you guys but what he wrote about is just my natural way of thinking. I don't see anyone making it in this business any other way.