Glossary of Obscure Trumpet Terms and Slang

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Sethoflagos, Mar 3, 2014.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Stopitoso?

2. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Nah. Molto trepidoso. ;-)

3. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    STFU: Instruction to knucklehead in your section who feels the need to quietly "noodle" while
    someone in another section is actually soloing.

4. Reedman1

Reedman1 Piano User

Sep 5, 2013
    NY, USA
    slide slide - a tuning slide that's worn enough to slip out when you play loudly.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Hmm, think that's a Chinese trumpet. :roll:
    Depends on if it comes with white gloves and/or tuner!

6. Jolter

Jolter Piano User

Apr 1, 2009
    Sweden
    After glancing at the Monette web page, I'd like to enter into the ring the word "resonant". We all know what resonance is, scientifically, but they seem to be using it in new interesting ways.

"The heavyweight, 5 5/8" bell and double shepherd’s crook design help produce a richer, fuller, more resonant sound than has ever been possible with a cornet."

Are they saying if you play it, will the tone keep ringing after you stop blowing? That would be a bad thing, so I guess not.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Going for the hollow body sound. Maybe it helps players with long tones! ;-)

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Although we may not discern it, every sound we make resonates in all that is about us. Among musical instruments I often hear the resonating tones of other pipes in a pipe organ specifically between notes that are played. I use to like to play brass instruments into an open grand piano just to hear the resonance of the piano strings to the notes I played on one of my instruments and yet much of the resonance was thus produced by the sound board. Quite often it helped me tell which instrument was out of tune ... as usually and more often was me on the instrument I played. All this is not to say a parts of a brass instrument would not continue to resonate after one stopped playing but such would require more than human hearing to detect it. To differentiate, resonance is an auditory sound and vibration is a sense of touch feeling, and each can be dampened, as in brass instrument construction by the amount of solder in the component joints.

9. Jolter

Jolter Piano User

Apr 1, 2009
    Sweden
    Right. I agree with all of that. So, we know what resonance is in an instrument, and we agree that a brass instrument should not continue to ring after we stop playing it. Some contruction methods (more bracing, heavier bell, "dead bell") will reduce resonance in the materials, others will increase them, giving different amounts of vibrational and auditory feedback to the player.

Now, how do we define a "more resonant sound", which seems completely unrelated to resonance of the instrument, and why is a resonant sound a good thing?

Monette's is not only place I've seen the term used, notably here is someone at The Other Forum trying to explain something, but I'm just not getting why the term "resonance" is used. Is it used to convey some property of the overtone series?

Aperture Tunnel (Achieving Maximum Resonance) - View topic: Trumpet Herald forum

Sorry for the long derail, this might be worthy of a separate thread, but I felt I want to have this definition in the glossary.

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    TMTWBN - The Mouthpiece That Won't Be Named. Yeah, you know! ROFL