Go away Brasso! Elbow grease gone forever

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrassBandMajor, Nov 4, 2015.

1. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    I found this! I'm gonna buy this.
    REALLY COOL STUFF.
    youtu.be/FljpFOq6eP0
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/antiques-collectables/automotive-transport/cars/auction-973168933.htm

2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Buy it and let us see before and after, I am somewhat skeptical of the claims for this class of product, they mostly will remove tarnish and may have some brightening chemicals but will not polish as well as Brasso and hard work.

My 5% CLR bath removes tarnish and cleans the brass well but does not polish. I have an antique brass Door Knocker that has been polished with Brasso to a high shine, every 6 months it has dulled off and a few minutes in the CLR restores it, eventually I will have to use the Brasso again.. CLR $17 for 1 litre, 20 litres water from tap, fully immerse a trumpet. Beats $21.90 for 500 ml.

Regards, Stuart.

3. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Will Stuart, I another product comes with it 'Brass Shine' a shining agent after the major tarnish removed, Brass Shine will finish off.
    In small parts of the cornet, I will use Blue Magic Polish Cream since it isn't abrasive and it is designed to be lacquer friendly to musical instruments.
    And do some buffing with the ole buffing wheel after and put the spray coat on.

4. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    The MSDS for Brass Brite shows active ingredient as 2.2% Hydrochloric Acid, Ethyl Glycol 8% and a polishing compound.

While I have a Buffing spindle and various mops and compounds, I would not use on a trumpet or cornet, one slip and the instrument is thrown against the wall or floor producing serious damage, prefer to polish by hand with a good car polish.

After polishing the instrument must be thoroughly degreased, dried and not touched again before the clear coating is put on.

Regards, Stuart.

5. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    BBM,

Cistercian monks in the Middle Ages made certain they only spoke about important things by limiting the time per day they were allowed to speak at all. Their limited time made them more aware of what was really worth talking about and what was just mere twaddle.
    Perhaps you might think about following that principle, perhaps limiting yourself to one post per week (or per day, if one per week proves to be too constraining)?
    Thank you.

6. barliman2001

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    If you really need advice between posts, you can always fill up my e-mail...

7. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia

8. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Brasso has ammonia in it, and ammonia causes brass to become brittle and crack over time.

9. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    Hey, at least this isnt a "what do you think about the brand xxxxxor the model xxxxxx" if it actually does work, it could be helpful. Let's not get annoyed whenever he posts anything- the more helpful we are the faster he'll learn.

10. barliman2001

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe