go fast tune

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by midwestchops, Jul 11, 2007.

1. midwestchops

midwestchops Pianissimo User

i posted this in the jazz section, but unfortunately that section doesnt seem to get much traffic, so i thought id post here as well. anyone know where i can find downloadable trumpet music for donna lee or cherokee? im looking for a good bebop head to possibly use for jazz auditions this semester. any help is appreciated. thanks![​IMG]

2. dlewis

dlewis Piano User

Nov 22, 2006
    RANDALLSTOWN MARYLAND
    You can download the real fake book.

3. midwestchops

thanks for the heads up. i checked it out, but its a bit pricey and doesnt include either of the songs im looking for. looks like a cool book to have though. :cool:

4. OdieLopez3

OdieLopez3 New Friend

Jan 21, 2007
    Yeah most books are pretty expensive try looking it up on some abersold books they're usually not that expensive. If not try your best to find some lead sheets online there's always something popping up somewhere and if its in concert pitch you can transcribe it for trumpet usually good for transposing chops.

5. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I don't think the "Hal" version of the Real book is expensive at all. It's less than the price of many trumpet methods.
    -T

PS: I thought the title of this post was posted looking for a caveman's real book ;)

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The cheap dirty Vulgano trick is to use Google Images to search for any song title. Often sheet music is stored as a jpeg file.

Searching "Cherokee" just got me a lot of jeeps, Indians and some banjo music; with "Donna Lee" I had a bit more luck. However, lots of music in the Public Domain can be found this way. Remember that regardless of how we get a hold of music, copyright restrictions still apply! Happy hunting!

7. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Cherokee is an easy head. Lift it. The changes aren't that hard to lift either.

8. midwestchops

if school were in session i could save as midi and download to sibelius. anyone have sibelius at home that could do this for me. im looking for the head to this version that arturo always plays.

YouTube - Arturo Sandoval At Madrid Jazz Festival

YouTube - Cherokee - GRP All star Big Band

if not, ill try to find something on paper elsewhere. its optional to play a bebop head, not a requirement, but i thought if i worked my butt off for the next 4 weeks and had it to go in there with it would be helpful. thanks to everyone for their help.

9. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    midwestchops,
    thanks for those YouTube links. Do you know who the three trumpeters are playing with Arturo. Can you name them left to right.......thanks, crowmadic

10. midwestchops

randy brecker, chuck findley, arturo, byron stripling. byron came to ISU for our annual jazz festival and we had a masterclass that ended up only being about 3 or 4 of us in there. people really missed out. byron is a cool cat, really generous, super nice, funny and i love his playing. he might be my favorite solo in this tune b/c his tone is awesome and its all so smooth and fluent. awesome video, i watch it frequently.