Goals and Milestones

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Comeback, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Just wanted to briefly share that I have finally accomplished a major trumpeting goal that I had been working toward for a couple years. This little event is personally gratifying, certainly, but I share this bit of news in hopes of encouraging other comebackers and beginners who might be experiencing frustration or discouragement. We often discuss what might positively affect progress for those of us new or recently returned to trumpeting. Good gear certainly helps, along with intelligent practice and sound instruction, but one essential in my experience is simple persistence: you just have to keep after it. I do not feel it necessary to share particulars about my goal because it was personal and its achievement should not be construed as some sort of universal goal or milestone. I encourage other beginners and comebackers to set reasonable goals of their own and commit themselves to accomplishing them.
    Jim

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Congratulations on achieving the ACHIEVABLE GOAL you set for yourself - but as you so eloquently put - one needs perseverance to succeed

3. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    You leave us intrigued with curiosity as to what your achievement was, JIm, but congratulations anyway.

My own is undoubtedly far less grand, but I'll share it. You know something of the trials and tribulations I've gone through over the last couple of months. But yesterday evening, something (I'm not quite sure what) clicked into place and I now find that I can run up and down double-octave scales cleanly and with reasonable intonation. There's a very long way to go yet, but considering that a couple of weeks ago, I couldn't have managed Baa-baa Black Sheep without a blizzard of double-buzzes, I'm over the moon about it. Well done to us both :D

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Congrats to both of you on setting goals and meeting them. I have set goals in the past, and hit a few and missed a few. My present goal is just to keep on keeping on, and making gradual improvement through perseverance.

5. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Thank you, KT.

Thank you, Seth. Intrigue was not my purpose. I wanted to promote a trumpeting focus that most of us appreciate but some times lose sight of; that being setting and achieving reasonable goals for improvement as musicians. I have a great many of these to set and work toward, but am thankful for a little progress. Congratulations to you on achieving your goal. Progress is wonderful thing and is worthy of being celebrated!

Jim