Going Back to school

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by saponi100, Jun 29, 2010.

1. saponi100

saponi100 New Friend

Mar 29, 2009
    fajardo pr
    Good afternoon to everyone. i am a come back player and i have been playing in church and sometimes in a community orchestra. I would like to go back to school at 42 and would like to know how to go about getting ready to do this. I do have an arbans book but do not have the money for private lessons. Can anyone direct me on how to prepare for college auditions.I did go to phila college of the Arts back in 85 after high school. I would appreciate any comments and advice. Thanks:play:

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I don't think you are being realistic. Will you be able to go to school for free? Perhaps you are a vet (or somthing else which will get you college money) and the answer is yes. But even so, you will need some lessons,and GOOD ones, if you are serious. Find a way to budget for them - maybe you need a second income. Or maybe you can barter for them if you have a barterable skill.

If you know where you'll apply, call the trumpet prof. there and ask advice about the whole process - lessons now, auditions, and what comes next after that. Lessons beforehand will enable you to get into the proper mindset for the continued learning you'll do if you do go back to school.

3. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    He may have the fundamentals in hand ...... lots of people are in his situation right now.

There's a ton of info on-line these days.

There are a ton of people here to ask about stuff.

My own approach is to get all the books I can (an Arban's is about the only one I don't have now) and read and learn on here, on YouTube, etc. And practice.

I live in Gilroy, California, there's not a trumpet teacher within 30 miles of me and I don't have a motor vehicle right now. Nor do I myself have the money for lessons. In this Depression a lot of us are just going to have to be largely self-taught.

The advice of talking with the trumpet prof at the school he's going to go to is a great idea though, he might be able to get some pointers from the guy.

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Veery, I don't know how it is where you are, but where I am, it doesn't seem like getting into the music department at a college is terribly difficult, keeping in mind of course that they are taking your better than average high school kids, and Maryland isn't exactly kicking any tail when it comes to music instruction in their public school systems. A few years back I was contemplating quitting my job and going back to school full time for music education, and I went through the whole process of applying and auditioning. Then again, I wasn't a comeback player and have spent a fair amount of time gigging in some pretty solid ensembles. I might not be able to win a slot in a premier military band or orchestra, but gaining entrance to the university college music program for the college I chose wasn't really an issue.

I tend to agree though that finding a teacher and getting a couple of lessons to assess ability and get you pointed in the right direction is a must. As a comeback player who is only "gigging" on a volunteer basis for church and community orchestra, that's probably not a great way to assess your abilities on a larger scale, or for what a prospective college professor is looking for. The teacher can assess what you are doing well, assign work to tighten up areas that need improvement, and get you going on some solos and other materials that you'll likely see on a college entrance audition.

5. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    I think with most colleges, you can take the basic level of music classes, and then when you are ready audition to get in as a music major officially? Before that you'd just be "undecided" .

I'm gonna assume the OP is a vet, can get a Pell grant, that sort of thing. So yeah college is paid for - in my experience paying for college is easy, having enough for food and shelter WHILE in college is the hard part. Thus he is in a position to go to college but not to afford private lessons.

6. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    You said you are interested in going back to school, but didn't provide much info about the specifics of your plan.
    Are you planning on majoring in music with an emphasis in performance or are you interested in teaching music? Or, are you just wanting band to be one of your classes.

If you just want to play in the band but major in another field, that shouldn't be too hard to do is you are a fair player. If you want to major in music, then playing ability is another story.

Kids DO get into college that haven't had a private teacher, so don't be intimidated. While I hate to admit it (I work with many universities), if you've got the bucks, they will often find a wayh to get you in -unless you are trying for a top school. If you made it to the Phili School of Arts, I imagine you won't have too much trouble walking on to an average college. That said, having a teacher WOULD still be nice.

SHare a little more of your plans and maybe we can give you some of our free advice (of course we guarantee it to be worth all you pay for it. :) )

7. saponi100

saponi100 New Friend

Mar 29, 2009
    fajardo pr
    I thank every one for the insight. I would like to have trumpet as my major and possibly go into teaching. It has been hard to get a job here in Florida and for health reasons i want to go back to school and i would like to study something i Love and it would be nice to finish what i started 25 years ago. I know it will be difficult but i think i Qualify for pell Grants and since i am Native American i may have a chance if the school is Accredited. Thanks to All:D:D

8. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    Any college worthy of the name "college" is accredited, as for Pell Grants, in my experience they're one of the few grant programs based on need, not race. So, that should be no problem.

Lots of people in these times are out of work, realize they're going to be out of work for a long time, and want to go back to school. I think it's great. A lot of great music came out of the last Depression and I suspect this one will produce a lot of great music too.

9. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Depending upon where you want to go most auditions for admission to a music school is long over for this next school year. Some colleges may have some relaxed audition process, but what do their degrees mean? Remember, there are an awful lot of very qualified teachers in this country have lost their jobs due to budget cuts. I know of many school systems that are dealing with this right now. Going to music school will not guarantee you a job. I am sorry I am not trying to be pessimistic, but realistic.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    While ANY education in the arts CAN help your ENJOYMENT, what do you expect to do with what you have learned? If you have no real track record it is much tougher at 40+ to land a paying playing job than when you are younger.

If your major is Business Administration (something perhaps more useful in getting a job), I am not sure that the grant would cover music anything.

The only way to prepare for college auditions is to play the repertory that is expected. That you CAN find out from the prof. Then you need to lean to play it in a way that the jury at the college will accept. Your community orchestra conductor or church organist may be able to help here.