Going backwards?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mamba21500, Dec 13, 2010.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    That's the approach I take to my maintenance routine. It's pretty streamlined and specific for what I want it to do - it covers the basics to keep them from degrading any further, but not much else. However, for the last couple of years it seems to be enough to keep me playing well on the gig, and that's the bottom line isn't it?

To that end, to comment on what Trumpetnick said about not having excuses, this is why I developed my maintenance routine. (which still shifts, depending on what I need to work the most) I'm a busy guy. I've got the whole 9-5 job, husband, father, homeowner thing going, which is on top of playing in 2 different bands on two considerably different instruments. I have to have something I can do with the time I've got, and I've gotten to be pretty disciplined about how I approach my practice.

While none of that addresses the main issue of why the OP seems to be regressing, it shows that dedication and discipline can help you find the time and the tools necessary to get it done.

2. Mamba21500

Mamba21500 Piano User

Feb 26, 2009
    Okay, just an update on what's happening at the moment.
    I know that 2 weeks is not enough to get a good idea of what's too come, but at least I can show you your inputs effect:

I took a short hiatus from trumpet playing. It lasted 3 days before I couldn't resist the urge to play anymore.

From the website about practice routines I established my own, though taking Allen Vizzutti's advice (from one of his masterclasses on youtube), I am keeping it flexbile;

-I start with a bit of free buzzing just to get the blood to the chops and then
    some sirens on the mouthpiece.

-30 minutes of piano, long tones, clearly articulated and trying to keep the pitch at the same level. I start of with long notes going from 2nd line G down to low Gand then later I play the first few arban studies, at 20bpm.

-30 minutes of lip slurs, starting off with low and slow, progressing higher, and
    then a shed load of lip trills. All at piano, keeping in as clean as possible.

------------------------------BREAK--------------------------------------

-Single tonguing, slow and hard, then slow and soft, then fast and hard, fast and soft. Legato, staccato etc. followed by double tonguing and then triple tonguing. This lasts about 30 minutes.

-Then I play a few studies from the Arban, only for about 20 minutes though, as I don't want to knacker my lips for the real music that comes later ;)

------------------------------BREAK--------------------------------------

-The next 45 minutes or so consist of me practicing pieces of music that are required, maybe improvising a bit, transposing some pieces; all of the stuff where you actually do what people might want to hear.

The result: I feel that my endurance is quickly returning, though the real test will be when contest season start :thumbdown: but the high notes are still just not happening, with me struggling to hit a G on the staff today, pathetic eh?

Cheers :play:

3. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Read Mouthpiece Pressure Assessment

4. Mamba21500

Mamba21500 Piano User

Feb 26, 2009
    I am quite sure that pressure is not the issue, I strive to use as little pressure as i can, stopping when I begin to pull the trumpet onto my chops, but I will do the assesment tomorrow and post tthe results.

I have been liable to use too much pressure in the past, but i have been working very hard to avoid coknuing to do so.

5. wolfmann

wolfmann Pianissimo User

Aug 19, 2010
    You have a Lot of good practice measures in place already.
    You might be pressing yourself too hard trying to be better.
    Relax and most important ENJOY what your playing,sometimes we get caught up in mechanics and dont see the pleasure in what we do.
    :play:

6. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    You might benefit from a 20 -30 minutes of easy playing in the MORNING. Give it a try and cut down a bit on the afternoon routine. Then don't spend quite so long warming up in the afternoon. Add some pedal tones too. That will help keep your chops flexible and will actually help with the high notes.

7. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    I fully agree with this assessment. Put it down. Rest. When you pick it back up, you will be amazed.

8. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV

9. Mamba21500

Mamba21500 Piano User

Feb 26, 2009
    I've looked at the thread, and apart from the occassional instance of one of those happening, eg. I sometimes split a note, I don't have any of the issues listed there. But I have had all of those issues in the past, which might be the issue, that I've damaged my lip so much that it hasn't repaired itself yet.

10. katie-did

katie-did New Friend

May 8, 2009
    I've been looking at this as I've recently ( a few weeks ago ) gone from a tropical climate to freezing Europe, and didn't protect my lips enough in the transition. The result has been very dry lips with a split ( cut ). I've tried playing through but a couple of days ago thought I had better stop for a while until it heals. I was very concerned about the split and losing what I've been building up on the trumpet. The tone had totally changed and I couldn't get it back ! I'm putting endless good lip balms on but the dryness remains. Any advice ??? ( And I can't work out how to start a new thread on it... doh! )