Going on vacation, best thing to maintain??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rviser, Aug 1, 2009.

1. rviser

rviser Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2008
    So I am off for 5 days of vacation next week and am not sure if I can fit my horn in the luggage or not. If I can't, what is the best thing I can do to maintain? I imagine mouthpiece buzzing and maybe some pencil exercises will help. If I can find 30 min. to an hour each day I'm gone, what would you guys recommend? Thanks!

Ryan

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Log on to TrumpetMaster 30 minutes each day!

3. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    Well I recommend buying a pocket trumpet. I found one for like 100 something bucks on ebay. Its small and easy to carry. I take it if I'm going on vacation for more than a week. If 5 days I wouldn't take my trumpet. You can take your mouthpeice and blow it for long periods. I would buzz slow, hold it for a while then buzz faster and hold it then faster and faster. Hope this helps:cool:

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There is no replacement for practice. period. You either accept that fact and start the rebuild process when you get back or you take the horn with you. A week of mouthpiece can be as bad as not playing if you don't know what you are doing. For players practicing less than an hour a day with the trumpet, 5 min. buzzing is my max. recommended daily dosis. No horn means only 5 minutes of buzzing per day, forget it, useless.

Take the horn, or enjoy the vacation. Rebuilding will only take 4 weeks. A pretty small chunk of time compared to the rest of your life!

5. rviser

rviser Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2008
    Jesus, 4 weeks!! I'm gonna figure out how to take that horn, one way or another.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hey, slow down! It isn't like you can't play at all during the rebuild. It is just that the endurance is lower and hitting targets not as reliable. After 4 weeks you are as good as new. I only take vacations where the horn is also possible. Vacations are the few times in a year that I can practice what I should and not what I have to.

7. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    If you can't take your trumpet don't worry about it , it's only 5 days, enjoy your vacation, your not going to forget everything you've learned, it should only take 5 days to a week to get back what you lost, 5 days isn't that long so don't worry ,enjoy your time away from the daily grind and relax, sometimes we come back with less bad habits because we're paying more attention to what we're doing.

8. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    When I go on vacation I bring a trumpet. I don't play it much. I think I will when I pack it but, I never do. I play it here and there. Mostly when my wife is getting ready to go out. When I get home I can't play as well as when I left but, I can still play. It comes back quickly.