Going Overseas

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Graham, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Graham

Graham Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    In December, I will be going overseas for a month and 5 days.

I'll be travelling around the UK and France and staying in hostels, and am wondering if it's worth me finding an alternative to bringing a trumpet with me?

I feel that not playing at all for a month is going to be detrimental, but I am doubtful of being able to find enough time during my trip to practise.

Would it be worth getting myself one of those P.E.T.E. devices to keep my embouchure active as far as muscles are concerned? Would a month with just the P.E.T.E. be too long?

I don't have a problem taking a trumpet, as I have an "expendable" one that isn't my main horn, but the issue might arise in finding the time!

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

2. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    It sounds like your schedule and the hassle of lugging a trumpet everywhere is going to be too much. I think that the P.E.T.E device should be a reasonable alternative and a month should not be too long using it exclusively.

Have fun on your trip.

3. Paul Du Bourg

Paul Du Bourg Pianissimo User

Oct 27, 2006
    JHB
    Graham,

Had the same problem last year.

Took family to UK as well as ski holiday in Livigno Italy, total 4 wks away.

Took mouth piece only but blew for maybe +-10 minutes every day.

Didn't lose a thing but really pleased to get back to the horn after the trip.

Sounds like back packing trip.

Did same thing in 1985, a long time ago now!!

Great fun and good luck.

Cheers

Paul
    Jo'burg

4. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Hi Graham,

Last year we spent 4 weeks driving around England, not much time for any practice, take a kelly mp for some buzzing and if you get a chance visit Taylor in Norwich and Eclipse in Leagrave, I only managed Eclipse and ordered a MS in gold plate, awesome horn. Also visit Phil Parker in London.

Regards, Stuart.

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    G'day Graham,

I travel quite a bit and the solution to the horn is a cheap pocket trumpet - takes very little space (I include it in my carry-on baggage). My wife and I toured for 3 weeks through China and I too struggled to find practice time - I finally realised that 10 mins a couple of times a day was 'easy' and ....... I ........... just ............ did ........... it.

6. Graham

Graham Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Ended up getting one those P.E.T.E. things, and will take a mouthpiece with me. I might if I'm really lucky be able to borrow a pocket trumpet from a friend, come to think of it!

7. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Pocket trumpet is much better than any "device" :thumbsup:

8. kadleck

kadleck Artist in Residence Staff Member

Feb 28, 2006
    new york
    Agreed!

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Sometimes a break can offer new perspectives. You know yourself, if you will realistically MAKE TIME, then go for it. If not, then invest in yourself in different ways. Change what is important to you during that time. Check out the musical/art scene wherever you are, get REALLY hungry about creatively playing the trumpet when you get back.

4 weeks off means 12 weeks to get back to where you before - if your perspective remains the same. If you grow as a person during that time, so will your playing. Take measure of yourself and then decide if half ass is as good as HUNGRY.

You'll do the right thing!

Absence makes the heart grow fonder