Going price

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Ash, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Ash

Ash Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2004
    What's the standard price range for a strad? Just curious, as I saw a new one for 895.

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    NEW!? I thought "street price" from the major mailorders was around $1,400. Generally Strads on Ebay were going for $700 to $900 if they were "so-so" or "good" quality and up to $1,000 if it was truly "pristine". (Unless there were other elements that jacked the price up higher such as Blackburn pipe, reverse tuning, etc). My observation has been that lately prices seem to be up a bit on Ebay horns though. If it's truly "new", and someone is only asking $895, I'd be wondering what loading dock it "fell off".

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Are you sure you saw a Strad and are you sure that it wasn't used? That's pretty cheap for a Strad. I bought mine brand new 6 years ago for about $1200, and that was about as good of a deal as Byron Tony, my sales guy at Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center, was allowed to give me.

The last I heard, Strads were going for something between $1400 and $1500, rock bottom, and more considering where you get one.

4. FreshBrewed

FreshBrewed Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Houston, TX
    I called around while I was in Houston on vacation and I was quoted between $1600 and $1700 from everyone for a Bach 37 with a case and mouthpiece. I wonder what these dealers in are paying for these horns from the factory?

5. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    A silver 37 in Dallas is around $1650. Brook Mays ran a Christmas special at $1450. Generally, you've got a chance to negotiate down to the lower number at any time. If a dealer had five or six for me to choose from, plus Yamahas, Conns, Jupiters, etc. in stock, I'd be willing to pay $200 extra to be sure that I selected a superior horn. Brook Mays' LBJ store in Dallas is that kind of store. Ask for Roger Holmes if you go there. (He's a bandmate of mine and my main trumpet-pusher).

We bemoan the lack of selection at our local stores generally, BUT I've seen a guy try out twelve horns of three different makes THEN go buy at a mail order house to save $50. I don't think that's fair to the guys with a showroom and demo rooms and good selection when we don't give them out business after taking advantage of their services. I feel different when they're adding $600 to the street price, but I'm not seeing that so much anymore.

Dave

6. dagny

dagny New Friend

Jan 20, 2004
    I bought a new C Strad a year and a half ago from a local dealer friend of mine for $1395. That was his cost plus ten percent.

And if you want it to play really well, let Reeves play around with it for a few days.