Going to a DCI Show!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trickg, Jun 30, 2005.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Weather permitting (we have had afternoon thunderstorms all week) I will go to my very first live DCI show tonight in Westminster, Maryland. The corps performing:

Boston Crusaders
    Carolina Crown
    Crossmen
    Jersey Surf
    Spirit from JSU
    The Cadets
    The Magic

It should be a great show. I'm taking my son whose interest in playing trumpet has flagged somewhat recently due to his interest in classic rock and electric guitar. Maybe this will re-spark his interest in playing horn.

I'll post an update as to what my impressions were and how the corps perform.

2. ALLCHOPS

ALLCHOPS Piano User

Nov 14, 2003
    Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
    Warm Up!

Hey Patrick,

Try to go a little early and follow one of the better Corps once they arrive(The Horn Line) and experience the warm-up phase... You may miss a Corps or 2 but it will be well worth it IMO! Position yourself about 50' from the center of the semi circle and put your seat belt on! I would venture to say you'll get goose bumps in areas you didn't think were possible!!!

Have a great time!

Tony G

3. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Man, those corps make a great show! The only Div 1 corps I have ever seen live was Santa Clara, you have all those in one night!!!
    Cheer on the Cadets for me!

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I'm really looking forward to it. I was talking to my son just a bit ago on the telephone and when he didn't seem nearly as stoked as I did, I asked him if he knew what drum corps was. He said "yeah, it's where a bunch of drummers get together and drum." :lol:

Is he in for a surprise or what!? I'm going to love it when the Cadets part our hair right down the middle with that awesome, all encompassing sound! :D

Like I said, my goal tonight is to possibly re-spark his interest in playing his horn and if this doesn't do it, he's destined to be a guitar player.

5. Ryan

Ryan New Friend

Jun 13, 2005
    Nebraska
    I just went to my first competition a week ago. You're in for the ride of your life :), enjoy!!!

6. Double_G

Double_G Pianissimo User

May 4, 2005
    Gordonsville, TN
    You ar ein for a real treat my friend. Good stuff from all of those corps the past few years.

7. silverstar

silverstar Mezzo Forte User

Jan 6, 2005
    I just was at my first DCI show about a week ago.

I've now got my heart set on trying out for Phantom Regiment.

You're in for a treat! Who knows what it'll make you want to do! lol.

Lara :D

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    The show was good and the stands, much to my surprise were packed.

I saw a lot of good stuff out there and I was amazed at what I heard - these kids are RUNNING the drill, yet they are able to maintain a smooth, balanced sound.

I wish that I had been able to get a seat closer to the center, but even clear over by the 5 yard line, the power of sound was incredible. This is definitely something that I will go to see again.

Corps to keep your eye on:

Carlolina Crown
    Cadets
    Crossmen

The other corps were good, but the ones I listed kicked it up a couple of notches.

More later - got stuffs to do!

9. uatrmpt

uatrmpt Piano User

Nov 29, 2003
    AL
    You should see what the Cavaliers have been doing with their drill the past few years....running/marching in the mid 200 BPM range.

That being said, the Cadets and Crown are taking a lot of flack from the drum corps traditionlists for what their doing.

10. stevelh9383

stevelh9383 New Friend

Jul 4, 2005
    Bristol, RI
    Glad you enjoyed your first DCI show.

I got to see all the corps you listed in my town last night, and what a show they put on. The Cadets horn line this year is putting out more sound then they have in a long long time. It is going to be an interesting time come finals week, with alot of craziness going on in thetop 5 corps

The best part of the night for me was getting to see some good friends who play for them who I havent seen in 8 months. :D

Anyone who is even remotely considering auditioning for a corps, DO IT! No matter what happens, you will be a better person, and musician just for giving it a shot. I can guarentee you, you will make friends for life, and just come out stronger and better then you ever thought you could be!

(If anyone wants to hear some Cadets brass-line warm-ups, email me, or find me on AIM. )