Going to learn to play trumpet soon...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Harmonicat, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Harmonicat

Harmonicat New Friend

Dec 23, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Hey! New here...I signed up a while ago but never posted.

Well, I'm graduating college in April and I'm starting to think a lot about my future and all the things I want to do, and now I'm really regretting not playing trumpet when I was younger. I almost did in the 4th grade when the school band started, but my parents insisted on private lessons instead and I was a super stubborn kid who hated school and anything not related to art, and only wanted to draw...so I didn't take up music. I tried learning guitar at age 15, but didn't find it particularly fun and gave up, so I took up harmonica instead and immediately loved it and stuck with it. It's a very personal instrument.

Now at 23 years, I'm really excited to finally learn how to play. With the harmonica, I read tabs, play by ear, and play blues improv so I don't have training in music theory. I know the notes, but can't read sheet music. I bookmarked a lot of sites for music schools and teachers that are in the city I'll most likely end up living this spring/summer.

I read a lot about people learning to play at an older age, but I figured better to start now than later, and heard some people start way into their 50's and it gave me hope. I read some encouraging and discouraging things...but I'm not at all turned off by it. I don't plan on becoming amazing enough to play in a symphony orchestra, like the harmonica I wanna play for my own enjoyment and want to be at least good enough to play in front of friends and family and maybe jam with random people and not sound like a dying elephant haha. I do hope my knowledge of harmonica playing will help me a little bit...I know they're pretty different, but both require breath control and embouchure so hoping that helps a bit, even if the technique is completely different (which it probably is haha.) I know young kids soak up information much quicker and don't care that they sound bad, and adults feel more "embarrassed" about playing badly...but I'm pretty adamant about getting good at things, being patient, and working towards goals.

I'm in the animation field so sometimes it can be stressful work and playing music really relaxes me and calms me down. I heard as an adult finding the time to play can be an issue but I really doubt I won't at least have 30 min- 1 hr a day to practice. There's not much else going on in my life. The biggest issue is I'll most likely be an apartment/condo renter for at least a while...I looked into the silent brass system and heard mixed reviews, and I will most definitely need a place to play without the mute. I have a friend who is a trumpet player and hopefully I can go to him and practice and he won't mind.

I'm mostly looking for advice from people that started later in their life, apartment dwellers, and advice for good beginner trumpet models...or anything else that can help me!

Thanks!

2. PiGuy_314

PiGuy_314 Pianissimo User

Oct 12, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Welcome to TM! :-)

You'll find a wealth of information (and opinions) here.

I think if you put enough work in, you'll be able to do it if you really want to, regardless of your age.

As for good beginner instruments, I have a couple of recommendations. The King 601 is a solid instrument. The Olds Ambassador is also an excellent horn. You can probably find an Olds Ambassador for around (or less than) $200. How much are you looking to spend?

I'm sure the others will chime in as time progresses. There are many comeback players here with many stories, some like yours. Enjoy your stay!

~Noah

3. Harmonicat

Harmonicat New Friend

Dec 23, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks!
    I'm fine with spending up to about $400 for now. Less would be even better. Not sure if it's smarter to rent one for a bit or buy my own beginner's trumpet. I'll look into both options.

4. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    A couple things to ponder:

- Check around for any colleges/universities to see if any have a music theory class. That might be of immediate help in reading music.
    - For a practice mute, see if any local music shops or other sources (Craigslist, Ebay, etc.) have any old Harmon mutes...stuff a dish towel or most of an old T-shirt in it and you have a pretty low cost and effective practice mute.
    - For horns, hit the music stores and other sources again (also remember pawn shops). Finding a decent condition used horn by any of the following would likely be suitable (my apologies if I left anyone's favorites...it was not intentional, just CRS - Can't Remember _ _ _ _):
    Austin
    Bach or Bach/Selmer
    Benge
    Besson
    Boosey And Hawkes
    Buescher
    Calicchio
    Carol
    Conn
    Courtois
    Eclipse
    Getzen
    Jaeger
    Jupiter
    Kanstul
    King
    Holton
    Martin
    Olds
    Reynolds
    Schilke
    Stomvi
    Yamaha

5. PiGuy_314

PiGuy_314 Pianissimo User

Oct 12, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    If you're sure about playing the trumpet, buying is the better option, hands down. The other thing about Olds Anbassadors and the King I mentioned is that let's say you buy it, play it for a while, and then decide trumpet's not for you. Those horns will be easy to sell.
    Denis Wick makes a practice mute that I use. Not sure if you actually wanna do this, but here's a way to make your own practise mute--yes, I know people who have used these with success.

How to make a trumpet mute out of a renuzit air freshener - YouTube

~Noah

6. Harmonicat

Harmonicat New Friend

Dec 23, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Yeah I guess you're right about that. And thanks for the link! I'll look into other mutes too. I just wanna make sure I won't annoy the other tenants...it's hard wanting to play music and living in an apartment complex. I'm always afraid about my harmonica too, and that's a lot less loud than a trumpet! Luckily I haven't had any problems yet with that.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Hey, after I signed up I never stopped posting. I think most moderators here prefer your way. But just look at my posts as moderator diversions so you can slip clandestine posts "under the radar". Yep, that is the main purpose I serve here on TM. Welcome to this great site.

Man that's gotta hurt. Ether you got big ears or big lips. Do qualify which so we can make the correct mouthpiece recommendations. If it is your lips, perhaps you can play both harmonica and trumpet at the same time. Wouldn't that be cool. TrumpetMD would be so envious, as he has to play them individually.

Sorry, I started early in life, live in a fabulous 5,000 sq ft home, with a designated music room, but you're welcome just the same.

8. Harmonicat

Harmonicat New Friend

Dec 23, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Hahaha. Naw, my lips aren't big and I don't think my ears are either...but it would be pretty sweet to play harmonica and trumpet at the same time. Dunno how it would be possible...but maybe when I get good enough with trumpet I can do some funky stuff playing both trumpet and harmonica in one session lol.

I'm imagining myself in a little apartment trying to soundproof a room with foam and rugs and curtains as my "music room" hahaha.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    If this is your only reason to acquire a mute for trumpet/cornet and not for texturized sound ... straights, cups, Harmon' and the like wont do it satisfactorily IMO. Any with a completely wrapped cork that would fit in the bell and no exit at the bottom said to be a practice mute don't seem much better than playing into a dense pillow. Thus, the selection narrows to the Shusss (sp ???) mute often advertised in the header of TM and the Yamaha Silent Brass (YSB) System, the latter which I use to keep peace with my wife even though many may disagree. I will say one should upgrade to a good set of earphones in lieu of the ear buds that come with the system.

10. Harmonicat

Harmonicat New Friend

Dec 23, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    I do like the sound of a mute, but yeah, the biggest reason is because of apartment living until I get my own house. I heard Silent Brass is not completely silent, but about as loud as a TV or radio on low volume, which is fine...I don't think many people outside of my apartment would be able to hear it. I haven't heard of anyone having problems with apartment tenants with it, as far as I've seen while researching.