Going to learn to play trumpet soon...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Harmonicat, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Gxman

Gxman Piano User

Jan 21, 2010
    Hey and welcome.

I am very much like you in the sense I wish I had started playing trumpet earlier rather than having played guitar/piano, and none of which was 'serious'. I am 31 next month. I started around 28, and that also was not 'serious', but more or less self taught with which I had to correct some problems (embouchure understanding, breathing, support, etc - fundamentals) once I got a teacher.

Having said that though, already playing up to top line F after 2 weeks of solid practice and correct instruction from a teacher in person that can see what you may be doing wrong (if they are technically knowledgeable - good teacher is a must!).

I plan to be professional over the next 4 years. We are working through grade 3 already, he believes I may even be able to get grade 4 done this year. We see how that goes!

Either way, you being 23, by 30 (which is where I am starting from) you could be extremely good, if you have the right teacher and practice routine.

Also if I may suggest, do it to be professional. I find with myself, in past anyways, I never played instruments from the "lets be pro" perspective. Because of that, I never really practiced it either because I wasn't working towards anything. Sure I can play the instruments I played, nicely, but its nothing technically advanced and its not 'perfect' either. It more or less limited me to what I could have been. Now I am doing it from the perspective of being professional and I can myself feel the difference from how it used to be. So playing to be professional, even if you don't go there, would at least give you right practice routines to really progress. One thing I learned was, if you are serious about music, do your grades, they will prove how serious you are. Hence I started them this year and I already feel 'wow, I am really improving' as I am doing it much more serious than laid back because of the goal I am trying to achieve.

In regards to the mute - I had a normal 30 dollar practice mute when I was in an apartment. I can tell you it is not as loud as a TV. You can play the trumpet with a mute in your bedroom, and nobody will hear it in the next room of your own apartment, let alone the next apartment. It will also produce resistance though, harder to blow through, which can be good in the sense of strengthening your support. Then when you take mute off, BAM how much power you will have to the sound because there wont be that resistance anymore.

Take care
    George

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    How nice of you, Gary, to invite the youngster over!

Whatever you do with the trumpet, Harmonicat, I suggest you begin immediately with learning to read music. Find yourself an elementary school song book and do it the same way as those of us who learned as kids. (Thank God for that, by the way! Not something to take for granted!)

3. Harmonicat

Harmonicat New Friend

Dec 23, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks! I feel really encouraged reading this. I will definitely get a good teacher and go through the grades. I just wasn't sure if it was realistic to want to play professionally starting this late, but I guess if I really work towards getting good (and I plan to), it won't be out of the question. I probably won't be super amazing...but like with my art...I'm always learning and improving every day no matter how good I already am. Either way, I'll have fun and that's what's important to me :)

4. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    One little thing, yes it is the same thing as playing the trumpet, save one thing: don't inhale any of the notes.......:cool:
    Seriously, though. Go for it! You'll never know if you're able unless you do it!

5. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    In regards to a teacher, where do you live?

6. Harmonicat

Harmonicat New Friend

Dec 23, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Yup! That will take some getting used to. I never had to worry about circular breathing with harmonica, especially since I play blues, which involves a lot of draw bend notes haha.

7. Gendreauj

Gendreauj Piano User

Aug 26, 2013
    Metro-Detroit
    Hi,
    Congratulations on deciding on learning to play the trumpet. I started learning trumpet last September at the age of 57 years old. You are right about the distractions: With two children under the age of 7 years old, it is not easy to practice.

Find a good teacher, and buy a trumpet with adjustable 1st and 3rd slides. Except for my first trumpet: To save money I bought the cheapest trumpets and cornets off of Ebay without adjustable slides. That was a mistake. Did try out some used trumpets at the music store where I take my lessons and found out even the cheapest modern trumpets have adjustable slides. I like the adjustable slides.

If you don't have a trumpet yet,work on buzzing on a mouthpiece. When you are ready to buy, have your friend go with you to evaluate the trumpet. Used trumpets should be cleaned ultra sonically. Ask you friend how to clean valves and slides.

I listened to conventionally wisdom and bought a to small for me mouthpiece. After my first lesson, I switched from a 7C to a 3C mouthpiece. Made a world of difference. So now I have three cornet mouthpiece: 2 1/2 C, 3C, 7C. Two trumpet mouthpieces: 1/12 C and 3C.

I bought a silent mute only off of ebay. Since I play by ear only, I didn't like it. To me it sounded like playing a trumpet under water. I sold it with my Old ambassador on eBay.

Also bought a trumpet cleaning kit,and that was my best investment. Have enjoyed buying the different valve oils and slide grease.

Since you already have a musical background, you will pick up reading the sheet music easily.

Welcome to the trumpet world. Good luck with your new adventure in learning the trumpet

Fred Fischer Cornet 1976
    Bach 3 C cornet mouthpiece
    Bach 2 1/2 cornet mouthpiece
    Fred Fischer 7 c cornet mouthpiece
    Bach 3 c trumpet mouthpiece
    Maestro 1 1/2 trumpet mouthpiece

8. Harmonicat

Harmonicat New Friend

Dec 23, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    I will most likely end up in Ottawa, Ontario. I already have a job offer there, so if nothing else comes up that's where I'm going.

9. Harmonicat

Harmonicat New Friend

Dec 23, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks so much for the info! I had no idea about adjustable slides.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ahhh, the Harrelson. ONLY the most brilliantly constructed horn known to man kind as we currently known it.